Late Test and Waiting List movement?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hocuspocus

Re: Late Test and Waiting List movement?

Post by hocuspocus »

I live in Hucclecote/Barnwood area and have a son. I'd love to know which is a good comprehensive near to us within catchment in case he doesn't pass!
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

So far it does look like Forest of Dean area is the more affordable area and it does look nice. Seriously can not believe the house prices in general but it is a beautiful part of the world.

Thank you all for the great suggestions :)
cazien

Post by cazien »

hocuspocus wrote:I live in Hucclecote/Barnwood area and have a son. I'd love to know which is a good comprehensive near to us within catchment in case he doesn't pass!
TBH hocuspocus I don't think there is such a thing as a "good comprehensive" in Gloucester. :twisted: We have "better performing" schools in the dreaded league tables, but most of the better ones still only achieve 60-68% pass rates for 5+ A*-C GCSE grades, (big difference from Grammars 97-100%). :!:

We live in close proximity to you so know how you feel. At the end of the day your DS will have to opt for the comp that he feels most suited to him. Don't forget to take into consideration location and transport. Think of problems that could arise with attending after school/weekend activities. If your DS wants to work and achieve good results, he can do that at any school. He needs to be happy with his choice, and not influenced esp by friends.

A friend recently attended Chosen Hill open night and was told everyone on their waiting list was offered a place last year (after Grammar appeals finished) irrelevant of their "catchment policy". I don't think any other comp has a catchment area (def know Churchdown, Glos Academy, Tewkesbury and Newent doesn't), but it is so annoying that we all have to pay to send our DCs to school on a bus as we do not have a local comp within safe walking/cycling distance (thanks Glos Council :evil: :!: ).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Cazien you can't compare Grammars and Comprehensives through their pass rates for GCSE. I would expect pretty much 100o/o from a grammar as they are purely catering for academic ability students. Comprhensives have mixed ability.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

The only comparison you can make between grammars and comprehensives would be the top set of the comp with the grammar. That isn't available!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

steppemum wrote:The only comparison you can make between grammars and comprehensives would be the top set of the comp with the grammar. That isn't available!
But you can look at the results of a comp's high (and medium and low) attainers at GCSE by searching the Dfe's performance tables - http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes I agree JD those stats are more important when it comes to looking at non-selectives.
hocuspocus

Post by hocuspocus »

Thank you JamesDean - that makes interesting reading. Both Churchdown and Chosen Hill are getting 91% A* to C across five subjects for their high attainers. That makes me feel slightly happier. Beaufort similar too.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

hocuspocus wrote:Thank you JamesDean - that makes interesting reading. Both Churchdown and Chosen Hill are getting 91% A* to C across five subjects for their high attainers. That makes me feel slightly happier. Beaufort similar too.

Those are excellent statistics as Grammars will in someways not only self-selected the DC willing to work for the 11+ but will also have the benefit of DP who opt to put them in for the test and put high value on academic attainment.

Comprehensives though are a mixed bunch so it is important to check they are stretching their high achievers. Also check that a decent percentage of those high achievers are getting A/A* grades. Ofsted reports will also mention if they are not stretching their higher ability groups. We are close to two Uppers. One is criticised for not stretching their to ability students so for us was to be avoided.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now