Open days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eromdap

Open days

Post by Eromdap »

I'm just wondering when you all started visiting schools on their open days. I've noticed there are a few coming up, but are they aimed at year 6s making their decisions as to which school they wish to apply for?

My dd is year 5. Is this too early or are there other open days during the year that would be better suited?
Tolstoy

Re: Open days

Post by Tolstoy »

We went in Y6 with eldest and it was a mistake as he needed to see the schools to understand what was at stake and encourage him to do the test prep. Luckily in those days the test happened in November.

I suggest you go now and you will notice many y5s doing likewise.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not in Gloucestershire but I would say they are generally aimed at year 5s or even year 4s, trying to get an idea of which schools they would like to be aiming for. By year 6 most people have an idea of the schools they like. Not many of my ds's class (y6) are going on open evenings this year because they have all done it before....
cazien

Post by cazien »

Agree with Tolstoy - if you are considering Grammar I would recommend Yr5 look now. No harm in looking at Comps as well - you can get an insight how each school varies and expectations etc.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I have ds in year 8 and dd in year 6.
We did grammar open days in sept year 5, so they knew what the school was like and what they were aiming for. This nearly backfired with ds as he saw Marling's old school hall, and said it was an old fashioned church-like building and he didn't want to go there!

In summer year 5 we went back to the grammar schools (and made sure ds saw the new buildings and the cool drum kit in the hall etc) and saw the schools at their best on open mornings in the sun.
At this point we also went to see the 2 comprehensives that went on our application, so that the dcs could see that there was a good alternative and passing wasn't the be all and end all.

Then in autumn year 6 ds went back again to Marling (his choice) but dd hasn't been anywhere, she is happy with what she has seen
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Also, is it better to go to the morning rather than evening session? I work, so mornings would be difficult. Is there a difference between mornings and evenings?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

In the mornings you get to see the school at work, so you can see children in lessons and moving between lessons. In the evening the school is putting on a show for the public with exciting science experiments and gym displays.

Both times you should be shown around by pupils from the school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Our grammar schools have their open evenings and tours towards the end of the summer term. These are to allow year 5s and their parents to look over the school before taking the exam in September, although some people bring their children in year 4. Once the results are known in October, the schools have another session just for those who have passed and their parents (although last year, one school only allowed parents to attend).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

glos grammars have open day and open evenings in autumn and summer, so you can do either. The open evening are fun, they get to try out stuff (dd was very impressed with methane flames on her hands) but the mornings good for a feel of the school at work.
I think the evenings are more for the kids and the mornings more for the parents!
techiedad

Post by techiedad »

HSFG opening evening is Tues 20th - the Yr7s have been asked to come back if they can, so there should be plenty of kids to speak to if you want to know how their first term at the school has gone.