Results Week!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kismet

Re: Results Week!

Post by Kismet »

We weren't told scores only ranks last year. Pates qualified only first 180 and didn't tell us ranking for DS who wasn't within that number but did give ranking outside the PAN upto 180, I believe.
Crypt and Tommies said if you were within the PAN but gave a ranking only outside the PAN, I think. DS was within PAN for Crypt and Tommies so not entirely sure.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

kismet, that is what I meant about top 120, I had forgotten not all schools have the same PAN!

they don't give you score or rank if within the PAN, only if outside it.
The PANs this year are larger, we are looking at SHS and they have a new PAN of 150 I think.

As far as I know, all the schools did similar, except Pates, who don't rank everyone, just top 180, and then tell you you were outside the top 180

You are right about score, no-one gave them did they? Just rank.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

:oops: steppemum, I have to confess I didn't finish reading your post before i started tap tap tapping. I realised after that I'd duplicated but didn't edit my post. Best get on with my chores on this very grey day
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

Glos Girls' Schools were similar timings for the emails on the Friday.
SHS came in at 3.30pm and the rest within the next ten minutes for us. I remember it vividly - had used husband's email address so he accessed the result from work and I accessed it from home with DD next to me. We had agreed to open at the same time - but I cheated and opened a few seconds early! don't think he ever realised.... :)

Best to all opening emails this Friday!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Tommies gave a "you are ranked ... out of the top 250" so you knew you were in with a chance down to 250. Outside of the 250 rank I think it was a case of "you didn't qualify" from what I recall. PANs have gone up this year.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Last year there were 3 letters, one saying you were within PAN, one with a ranking and one saying you didn't rank. We had a friend who got a ranking of 326 for Ribston and was very borderline but didn't go as they decided it was to far, but they got a you didn't rank letter for HSFG.

Emails came in the afternoon very quickly around the same sort of time. Much better than when we had to wait for DS who was 3 years and we had a mix of emails and letters.
nas

Post by nas »

does anyone know if pates allows equal number of boys and girls irrespective of thier scores? i mean, what if more boys than girls (or vice versa) with in the ranking of 180 ?
cazien

Post by cazien »

nas wrote:does anyone know if pates allows equal number of boys and girls irrespective of thier scores? i mean, what if more boys than girls (or vice versa) with in the ranking of 180 ?
Logically and fairly they should only rank in order of scores, not taking into consideration gender. Whether that is the case, I honestly do not know. They have had unequal gender splits in recent years so they probably do only take into consideration ranks.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

Agree. My DD is at Pate's and the genders are uneven in her year - far too many boys for her liking! :roll: - so would imagine they allocate on top 150 and then ranks.

When she did the test a couple of years ago, our email said that she had qualified for Pate's as she was in the top 180, but (I seem to remember) did go onto say that she was also in the top 120 (but no ranking given), so if we put the school down as her first preference, we would get a place (although they can't obviously offer/guarantee or allocate a place - only the LEA can do that), so that is what we did.

Pate's PAN is 150 this year and I think that the qualifying score is also adjusted to qualifying in the top 210 - but I could be wrong.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Good luck to all. Don't forget you can phone the school to get the ranking if not qualifying which can give an idea as to which direction to go next.

They e-mail after school on Friday which is quite a nice idea so the children can get the results when they get back from school. Posted out as well so if people aren't on e-mail should get by Monday.

I think this is a very good year for getting in, more places available and still and low birth year 50:50 for most of them I think.

As for the B'ham comments my understanding is the Gloucestershire test is unique and though follows CEM principles is different to any other areas which prevents test tourism to an extent.

Good luck, our turn again next year much higher birth year but at least we won't be the guinea pig year like last time :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now