Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:26 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:15 am
Posts: 4
I wonder if anyone can help and advise us?

Our son sat the 11+ and we only chose Pate and Marling as schools to share results with as we know people at both. We didn't look at or consider other schools. We live near Stroud.

We have been told our son has achieved the qualifying score for Marling and is ranked in the top 150 but that no place is guaranteed and the LA will advise us in March if we select them as first choice. Pate have told us he wasn't in the top 200 so that's the end of that process.

People are now advising us that we should have had his results shared with a larger pool of schools to give ourselves a back up. Thomas Ritchie is one that has been mentioned. But I assume we can't now find out if our son has met their qualifying score and/or add them to the options when we will fill the form in this month?

We do want him to go to Marling but if a place is not guaranteed should we also select other grammar schools?

Any advice much appreciated as we are confused by the process and do want him to go to a grammar school if it is possible.

many thanks
Rose


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm
Posts: 930
Mrsrubyrose wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help and advise us?

Our son sat the 11+ and we only chose Pate and Marling as schools to share results with as we know people at both. We didn't look at or consider other schools. We live near Stroud.

We have been told our son has achieved the qualifying score for Marling and is ranked in the top 150 but that no place is guaranteed and the LA will advise us in March if we select them as first choice. Pate have told us he wasn't in the top 200 so that's the end of that process.

People are now advising us that we should have had his results shared with a larger pool of schools to give ourselves a back up. Thomas Ritchie is one that has been mentioned. But I assume we can't now find out if our son has met their qualifying score and/or add them to the options when we will fill the form in this month?

We do want him to go to Marling but if a place is not guaranteed should we also select other grammar schools?

Any advice much appreciated as we are confused by the process and do want him to go to a grammar school if it is possible.

many thanks
Rose

Hi I think that if your ds is in the top 150 for Marling and the PAN is 150 you are in a great position if you put it first on the CAF -you will get a place - it is just that you still need to go through the CAF process and won't get a formal offer of a place until 1st March next year. Other boys may also have shared with Tommies or Crypt as well and also have a top 150 place at Marling and at others as well they may well prefer one of the other schools as their first choice depending on where they live and other factors. Marling usually goes well into the rankings beyond the top 150 cut off to allocate places. Sounds like Marling is your prefered choice so put it first and you'll be fine. Hope that helps DC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4581
Location: Essex
The school is not allowed, under the Admissions Code, to say outright, 'You have a place' at this stage. All you have done so far is ever your son for a test to see whether he meets the school's academic standard (which he has :) ); you haven't applied for a place until you have submitted your CAF, naming Marling as one of your desired schools.

However, as the school admits 150 boys into year 7 and your son's rank is 150th or better and at least a few of the boys who were also in that 150 will choose to go elsewhere, you can be more or less certain of a place for September. However, you should also name at least one non-selective school for which he meets the criteria as well (otherwise, in the unlikely event of not getting Marling, you will be allocated the nearest school with places, which may not be one you want under any circumstances).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:15 am
Posts: 4
Thank you. How can one find out if you meet the criteria for another selective school however? Do you just approach them directly and they can find out somehow?

Rose


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 pm
Posts: 2610
Mrsrubyrose as others have said it is highly likely your DC will get a place at Marling. He may well qualify for SirThomas Richies as it sounds as if he did get a high score on the test if he is in Marlings top 150. Historically STRS is just as difficult to get into if not more so than Marling so unless you have changed your mind and would now prefer that school I would just put Marling on your CAF and await confirmation of the place in March.

If you have changed your mind and desperately want to send him to STRs then read this thread

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44045&start=10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 am
Posts: 340
Mrsrubyrose

We are in the same position for SHS, dd is in the top 150.
It really is pretty much a guaranteed place. I cannot think of any reason why a child in the top 150 would not get a place.
You do not need to worry, the paragraph about it not being a guaranteed offer, is to make sure that parents don't forget that they have to fill in a CAF and send it in to the LEA. If you don't you won't get a place at any school!

If you put it first on your form, you will be there in September.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1773
I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware, unless you selected to share your result with another grammar school,ie, STR in this instance, it's too late and you can't change your mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4581
Location: Essex
Stressed?Moi? wrote:
I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware, unless you selected to share your result with another grammar school,ie, STR in this instance, it's too late and you can't change your mind.


I would assume that you cannot, otherwise you might as well just standardise the whole cohort together and get one score to be valid for any school, instead of creating sub-cohorts for each school people have asked to be considered for.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:15 am
Posts: 4
Our daughter is in year 5 so we will be back here again next year.

Lesson learned is tick every box!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 pm
Posts: 2610
Well that is if you are physically ably to get to the school. For us Marling was never an option unless we got a boat :lol: and ticking the box would have just resulted in genuine applicants being lower down the ranks than needs be and therefore more stressed until March 1st.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016