HSFG open day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kismet

HSFG open day

Post by Kismet »

Morning all. I plan to go to the HSFG open day but wondered what the format is as I need to juggle childcare for the other one (as DS is liable to say mean things to DD about sharing buses, won't get there anyway etc etc and I don't want to spoil the motivational visit for DD and her friend.......if only I could control when that love hate relationship swings a particular way......I know he's actually really capable of being supportive when he wants to be, but I digress)

Anyway, the website only gives times and doesn't say if there's a talk by the head or just a tour included in the evening. Anyone out there with insider knowledge?
steppemum

Re: HSFG OPEN DAY

Post by steppemum »

most of the open days run a rolling programme of tours of the school, with a talk from the head at the beginning and towards the end.
There are often fun activities for the girls to do in the various classrooms
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Kismet wrote:Morning all. I plan to go to the HSFG open day but wondered what the format is as I need to juggle childcare for the other one (as DS is liable to say mean things to DD about sharing buses, won't get there anyway etc etc and I don't want to spoil the motivational visit for DD and her friend.......if only I could control when that love hate relationship swings a particular way......I know he's actually really capable of being supportive when he wants to be, but I digress)

Anyway, the website only gives times and doesn't say if there's a talk by the head or just a tour included in the evening. Anyone out there with insider knowledge?
The joys of having more than one child :D My DS and DD are regularly at each others' throats but when the chips are down, they are actually very protective of each other. It does get easier when they get older. What age is the DS?
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We went in the evening last year and there was a talk by Mrs Sawicka. Not sure if she does a talk during the morning. All I know is that dd is helping with the tours and quite excited about it.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks for the responses. DS is year 7 at Tommies, Stressed. MB, I would be beside myself with excitement if I was helping. I still remember the buzz from helping back in the day. Hope your DD has lots of fun tomorrow and I hope my DD decides it's worth spending more time reading. :roll:
MedievalBabe

Re: HSFG open day

Post by MedievalBabe »

Don't worry about the bus share, DS is at Tommies in y9 and he was not happy about sharing the bus with little sis but they walk to the stop together in the morning and that is as far as it goes. He sits with his friend and she sits on her own as she is too scared to talk to the other girl on the bus. This morning he left without her as she had to come back for her hockey stuff and got me to take her but there was no way DS would have me take him, prefers to catch the social side to catching the bus.

My 2 hate each other one minute, don't speak to one another the next, killing each other the next and then hugging each the next; I just can't keep up with them!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

medievalbabe - you made me laugh.

ds is year 8 at marling and dd has just passed for SHS. Ds was quite not bothered about his sister doing 11+ until one day he suddenly realised she would be on the same train as him. He was Not Happy. His little private social world with his friends on the train was in danger. He only calmed down when he realised that she would sit with the SHS girls and not with him.

He still mutters things like 'she's not walking up the hill with me'
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

We are going to the open evening tomorrow. As we have not been to HSFG before, we are just wondering where is good to park?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Ah, it is sooooo reassuring when I hear of other sibling relationships which are equally annoying and perplexing as that of my two. Now that DS spends two hours longer away each day (until this moment I hadn't properly worked that out and now it scares me), DD really misses messing around with him after school. Now that DS is even older he finds new ways to torment his sister just for her attention. He clearly misses her too but most of the time can't resort to a simple 'shall we play something? Nope, he has to pull her hair or take something of hers. Funny thing is tho, now that we are on this tangent, he already has an opinion on her wearing short shorts and crop tops. ' that's not appropriate....you're trying to dress like an 18 year old' :lol: :lol:
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Oh yes the great parenting ability of the older brother :lol: :lol: