Help on Ranking for Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
steppemum

Re: Help on Ranking for Ribston

Post by steppemum »

which leads me to conclude that borderline DDs with equal preference for both should put SHS as first preference

NO!
sorry, but this is bad advice.

Always put the school you want first on the form.
If you don't get a place at your first choice school, you are considered at your second choice school, at the same level as all those kids who put it first. The school does not know if you put them first or second.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Cazien is right, RH took up to 379 last year. 459 would have been a freakish increase, indeed!! :lol:
boris

Post by boris »

I am new to this eleven plus lark so I hope I haven't misunderstood. My daughter is ranked 325 at Ribston and 324 at Denmark Road so I have been obsessing over that all weekend. March seems an awful long wait....

Anyway, I saw that post about 379 being the last number but wasn't that dated 3rd March which can only have been after the first allocations? Surely there could have been more after? Has anyone checked with the school?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

You are correct Boris and yes the rankings would more than likely have gone down further after the first round allocations. The problem this year is that the rankings system was new last year so all the hsitorical information that used to be stored on this site re allocation scores is no longer useful.

If someone does ring the schools or does know this information could they post it and we could ask the mod to turn it into a sticky at the top of this section for all to access easily.

In addition re my post and Steppemums post above I found this on the Gloucs website which would be really useful if placed in a sticky at the top of the section,

Myths busted
Put your preferences in your true preference order. If we cannot offer your first preference, your second preference becomes your first and so on.

If a grammar school is your true preference then list it first. You will not lose your place at your local school if you do not put it first, but grammar places seldom get offered during reconsideration.

If you only put one choice, or list the same choice four times, this does not mean we have to give you the place. All places are offered according to the schools oversubscription criteria.

If your application is late, or you do not apply, you will be offered a place at the nearest school to your home address that has space available. This may not be your nearest school, or a school of your choosing, and you may be responsible for transport costs.

>> and just to add re the second line the same will apply when you are listing two or three Grammars schools.
boris

Post by boris »

Where has the ranking info on the letters come from for previous years then? My letters both had three years worth of ranking history on them. Should I ignore this? Seems a bit unfair to bolster parents' hopes with the information if its irrelevant?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Sorry was out of the loop two years ago. Some of the schools have used ranks for some time, SHS, Marking and Pates (ranks combined with scores) but for others it is newer. I thought last year was the first for them but not sure.
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

steppemum wrote: which leads me to conclude that borderline DDs with equal preference for both should put SHS as first preference

NO!
sorry, but this is bad advice.

Always put the school you want first on the form.
If you don't get a place at your first choice school, you are considered at your second choice school, at the same level as all those kids who put it first. The school does not know if you put them first or second.
Actually I was trying to say that if you have equal preference for both schools then SHS seems to have a better chance of success (150/601 compared to 120/792). However even that doesnt guarantee anything because there are many other variables. I do agree that if you have a preference for one over the other then of course put your preference first. I didnt mean to give bad advice, its just my own interpretation.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Mcfly I totally understand what you were trying to say but year on year people make the mistake of thinking they have to put say 'an oversubscribed Comp' first on their form or risk losing their space. That system was changed many years ago but its legacy lives on. Hence both mine and Steppemums reaction. :) There are still people out there giving bad advice. Heard it myself in a Headteachers speech last year which was carefully worded not to be a lie but did create no end of confusion and unecessary worry for many.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Judging from the evidence of our primary- 11 girls and I think 6 boys this yr, 2girls qualified for Shs whereas most of the boy's qualified for Marling. I think that Pates may be boy heavy. I am still struggling to understand how the boy's did so much better than the girls when they are on a par at school.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

turtleglos wrote:Judging from the evidence of our primary- 11 girls and I think 6 boys this yr, 2girls qualified for Shs whereas most of the boy's qualified for Marling. I think that Pates may be boy heavy. I am still struggling to understand how the boy's did so much better than the girls when they are on a par at school.
Unless you have actual scores as well as rankings (?), you can't know whether, say, the average raw score of the boys asking to be considered for Marling wasn't lower than the average for girls asking to be considered for SHS. In that instance, the eight of them may have got almost identical raw scores, but the girls would lie further back on their 'bell curve' of standardised scores than the boys on theirs, if you see what I mean?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now