Which girl's grammar to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Which girl's grammar to choose?

Post by Amber »

banana brain wrote:... the homework is not excessive (ds in Y7 at Tommies receives much more).
:shock: :shock:
My two sons are much further up the school and have never really had much homework. Very surprised by this comment.

In general, one thing which people rarely look at when choosing a school at 10 but which becomes increasingly relevant as children go up a school is the sixth form retention rate; and I would urge anyone considering a selective school to look at this, and at how many new children join a school in Y12. These kind of figures can be very telling.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Amber wrote:
banana brain wrote:... the homework is not excessive (ds in Y7 at Tommies receives much more).
:shock: :shock:
My two sons are much further up the school and have never really had much homework. Very surprised by this comment.

In general, one thing which people rarely look at when choosing a school at 10 but which becomes increasingly relevant as children go up a school is the sixth form retention rate; and I would urge anyone considering a selective school to look at this, and at how many new children join a school in Y12. These kind of figures can be very telling.

I think it would be too difficult to even consider retention rates and not "that" relevant when opting for a school at age 10/11. I know of two boys who loved their 5 years at STR but hated 6th form - one transferred to HSFG and the other Crypt, just like I know of boys from Crypt who opted for STR sixth form. All sixth forms will have students who have stayed (some just for convenience/familiarity or because they like it) and moved (some because it offers a new experience, and some because they were not happy). If reasons for staying/moving were available then it would be telling. As some schools do not have sixth form, students have to move - this scenario cannot be reflected as "telling", to reflect badly on a schools sixth form intake.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think it is something worth considering especially now DC are required to stay on in education until 18.

One of the reasons we opted for a Glocs grammar was because they have 6th forms. ( Do remember there will be an influx from the Forest where they don't) It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that many selective schools are upping their 6th form entrance requirements to a very high standard. Therefore you may not be feel it is relevant now but those years speed by at a rate of knots and you may find your DC, who has become attached to their school and with a strong supportive network of friends, suddenly cut adrift and desperately searching for new school at a very important time in their education, far more important than where the go in Y7 in fact.
Amber

Post by Amber »

cazien wrote:I think it would be too difficult to even consider retention rates and not "that" relevant when opting for a school at age 10/11.
The decision of a child to remain at a school for sixth form tends to be based on their experience of that school in the first five years. So to me that is 'that' relevant.
As some schools do not have sixth form, students have to move - this scenario cannot be reflected as "telling", to reflect badly on a schools sixth form intake.
Indeed and no one would suggest that it should. However, there are schools with sixth form where nonetheless more than half the year group is trying to leave at the end of Y11, and personally I do think that is very telling.

You don't have to take my advice, but it is the best I have and I offered it in good spirit to those who might be torn between different schools. The figures do vary and probing a little at the schools concerned may give some insight into why that is.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I think in this whole debate is the very telling truth that some families avoid, miss or proactively reject selection at eleven but at sixth form are faced with much more of a selection process than at 11. Whether that is 'telling' as students are unable to stay on as they either haven't taught to standard or students are 'encouraged' out I couldn't say. However I do know that the school I am selecting for my daughter does have a fair proportion move on. It is a combination of reasons. We are in an affluent area so some go private for sixth form, some choose IB over A levels, some don't meet the required grade, some want a change, some want to be the minority girl in the boys sixth form. All are very valid reasons. It is again a matter of choice and not always a negative reflection on the school in question. Our children do a lot of growing up between 11 and 16 and what is the right school at 11 isn't always the perfect match at 16. Apologies for posting out of area but it seems a subject that is relevant regardless of where you live.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

I agree. I think it's great that, having been in a single sex school, children get the chance to mix. I also know of several children who have outgrown or had problems with friends and just fancy a fresh start. I wouldn't consider the statistics when choosing a school for an 11 year old, my strategy was just a gut feeling!!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

As an outsider looking in, surely sixth form retention rate is a v crude indication of a school!? Gloucester has so many good sixth forms & children move between them for a range of reasons - subjects offered, school experience so far, location. For families I know though, subjects on offer was the clincher.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

& to answer the original question, DD loves Denmark. The schools are all different & suit different children. Ribston never felt right for her (it's a great sch & we know lots of happy girls there), Denmark felt the best fit for her right from the first viewing. It was also the most convenient, within walking distance but that aside it suited her. She's musical rather than keen on dance & the dance focus at Ribston put her off. Whereas her friends loved the dance at Ribston! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now