Which girl's grammar to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LucyK

Which girl's grammar to choose?

Post by LucyK »

Can you tell me something about HSG, RH, SHS. My daughter has qualified for the tree schools .Looking at the past score history she has a fair chance for the tree of them. We will go and visit but can you compare the three schools for me in terms of atmosphere and how the girls are getting along-please help us to choose!.
DC17C

Re: Which girl's grammar to choose?

Post by DC17C »

I will send you a pm
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

they are all good schools.

But equally important is how will she get there, and where you live in relation to them. Personally, I would go for the one of the three which is the easiest in terms of transport.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

steppemum wrote:they are all good schools.

But equally important is how will she get there, and where you live in relation to them. Personally, I would go for the one of the three which is the easiest in terms of transport.
We live in Cheltenham, so it will be equally difficult to travel to three of them(we don't mind the travel). I just wanted some feedback from parent of girls who have already experienced the schools.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

DC17C wrote:I will send you a pm
Thank you!
Dalmation

Post by Dalmation »

Hi, I cannot comment on HSFG or SHS as my DD goes to Ribston. She is now in year 10 & is so very very happy there. As parents we cannot praise the school highly enough & it is the only school we would love daughter no 2 to go too xx
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DD is in Y7 at HSFG and loves it. She has made friends, joined clubs and is coping with the work.

Travel from Cheltenham is not too difficult, we don't use the school bus but the 94 as it is cheaper. There are other girls on the bus and they all look out for each other, also she isn't relying on us if she has an after school club to pick her up, but most of the clubs are at lunchtime. I drove her and DS this morning, he's at STR, and getting to the school's was quick and easy the harder part was getting back to Cheltenham as all of the traffic was queuing at this end.

My advice would be to go with what you know of your child and what she needs. My DD would not have suited RHS but other girls we know would and that is going purely by their personalities and interests.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Dd is in year 8 at HSFG and has loved it since day 1.

We live in Cheltenham and she catches the school bus at 7.45 and returns at 4.10. She has lots of lovely friends on the bus and at school and the majority of her friends live in Cheltenham.

For us from Cheltenham HSFG was the easiest school to get to and the 7.45 bus is early enough!

She only does lunchtime clubs so always catches the bus home, except on the days they finish early in which case there are plenty of lift shares.

Hope this helps!
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Hi, my daughter is in Year 7 at Ribston. She loves it there and has settled in very well. When she passed for Denmark Road and Ribston, we looked at both schools. (We hadn't looked before, as to be honest I didn't think she would pass, as she is dyslexic and wasn't allowed extra time). I asked my daughter to write down the pros and cons for both. She decided on Ribston, which I am glad she did, because I preferred the feel of the school and that the girls' happiness and wellness was paramount. I thought that Denmark Road was more about exam results and achievements. This of course is my own personal opinion and you and your daughter might feel differently. My daughter gets the train at Cheltenham at 7.45am and then gets the public bus out to Ribston. It costs me £19.95 a week, plus if she has anything on after school, she can still get the train home.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

My dd is in Y9 at HSFG and has been totally happy there since starting. I feel that the school is v nurturing and embraces a safe yet creative atmosphere.
Although the school encourages children to work hard, the homework is not excessive (ds in Y7 at Tommies receives much more). I also love how dd's friends seem happy for each other's achievements. In Primary school there was a lot of jealousy between girls and it's a relief not to have that.
My dd loves the creative subjects but struggles with Maths and has been totally supported in a smaller class within which she feels no shame.
I cannot praise the school enough.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now