Qualifying (pates) scores for grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Qualifying (pates) scores for grammar schools

Post by Guest »

Hope this might help to summarise the Pates scoremarks used for children to be included in the pool for each grammar
might help if it can be updated as more info becomes available

Lowest known Pates score which qualified for inclusion in the pool,

Pates 240
Tommies 231
Denmark Rd 227
Crypt 215
Ribston 219
Stroud high ???
Marling 216
suze

results

Post by suze »

My child got 220 pates , obviously didn t get place, but got letter from Denmark rd stating had qualified to apply as got over 105 in each one.

Re: results

Post by Guest »

suze wrote:My child got 220 pates , obviously didn t get place, but got letter from Denmark rd stating had qualified to apply as got over 105 in each one.
excellent, looking at the other thread it may have been a stroud score of 226, hence the importance of only using Pates scores

Lowest known Pates score which qualified for inclusion in the pool,

Pates 240
Tommies 231
Denmark Rd 220
Crypt 215
Ribston 219
Stroud high ???
Marling 216

Post by Guest »

guest earlier said 222 didn't get into Denmark Road- guess it depends on the score of 105 for each paper.

What a process

Post by Guest »

....you do realise that the 'standardised score' is different for every shool.... for example, 225 sat at Pates would be marked differently if took at Denmark Rd (for example) - even if the raw test results are EXACTLY the same.

Comparing a result with multiple shools is therefore interesting, but ultimately pointless.

I went through this on Friday with LEA Admissions..... I got to a level of detail when even they concluded they didn't fully understand the process.... it 'all comes out in the wash' (apparently).

Re: What a process

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:....you do realise that the 'standardised score' is different for every shool.... for example, 225 sat at Pates would be marked differently if took at Denmark Rd (for example) - even if the raw test results are EXACTLY the same.

Comparing a result with multiple shools is therefore interesting, but ultimately pointless.
I certainly realised that the standardisation method is different for each school, but the intention was to compare only the Pates score as a indicaton of the childs performance on the day, in relation to the pool criteria for other schools, as this is the only information we have.

I am hoping that tomorrow the LEA will let me know just how many people received letters stating they are eligible for Denmark or Tommies, as then we might have an indication where in the order of rank our child might appear.

Post by Guest »

....call me a cynical old *******, but the LEA will tell you nothing of use... as they say they it is not until march 4th that one pupil will be able to effectively compare performance against another. We are now in the 'twighlight zone' while the schools get their act together. In fairness to the LEA, they are not in control at this point.

Good luck.
Gloucsteacher

qualifying scores

Post by Gloucsteacher »

The LA are in control - hence the delay till 3rd March. If it wasnt for the LA taking the Grammar schools into the pot with all the comps thenthe grammars could offer places now - they already have the scores and rank order.

It is pointless comparing scores across schools as the cohort is different. Pate's scores do not apply to other schools and vice versa.

The best advice (now that he first preference system is gone) is to put schools in your genuine order of preference.

It is worth knowing that they have not passed / 'qualified' more students for each school this year than previously as they standardise teh scores so that a certain number get the 'pass' mark. Teh standard to get that mark may have gone up but there are the same number - therefore.... if students who qualify for crypt normally get in then the same is likely to happen this year - it is not any different as teh same number have qualified etc.

Good Luck :D

Post by Guest »

actually, it is not the LA that sets the timeline- that was specified by the DCSF....
mother of 3

11 plus pass mark

Post by mother of 3 »

We scored 228 at Pates and got a letter from tommies saying we may have a place- same 105 in each paper.so tommies pass might be revised?
javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now