Crypt 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scaredycat

Re: Crypt 2018

Post by scaredycat »

Amber, I think you can read my mind, I am sure you are right. I guess time will tell!
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Teacher friend at Tommies told me they have over 30 ex-ribston girls in year 12 this year. I had also heard today about Ribston going comp (but jungle drums possibly beating too loudly?) If tommies seems to be the 'school of choice' at 6th form, then crypt have nothing to lose by going co-ed. It will be interesting to see how many girls do take up a place in year 7 when it is introduced.
Re boy/girl balance at Pates: in year 7 there are only 40 girls and in year 11 it is also v top heavy boys. Other years seem to be more even.
It seems that the new much-touted CEM test (certainly in its first year) favoured maths strengths rather than English (dd took it and her view was that the vocab was easy).
I think certain gs's are re-thinking that perhaps each section in the 11+ needs to be passed, rather than whizzing away on the maths sections but weaker in English and perhaps not achieving the required level.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Cup of tea wrote:Teacher friend at Tommies told me they have over 30 ex-ribston girls in year 12 this year.
I would guess even more from HSFG? Being careful what I say but I had heard there was a one-way flow which has picked up in recent years. I think it may be getting hard for STR to take all the applicants from the girls' schools and there have been rumours flying around...the trickle in the other direction has been in (at most) low single figures I understand - and then almost entirely because the grade requirements are lower. The head of Crypt has probably seen a gap in the market opening up. You can't blame him.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I think that we should be supportive of all the grammar schools. We are lucky to live in an area where we have those schools available. It means that we can choose grammar over comprehensive; single sex over co-ed; and, in some cases, the best fit grammar for our DC. I'm sure STRS is fantastic, but for us Crypt and HSFG have been fantastic for our children. They do move around for sixth form and for reasons other than Tommies being "the school of choice". DC will be staying at Crypt as will his friends, and we know of others from other schools who have applied for places there. There are social factors which impact upon the sixth form decision, especially where they are moving from a single sex to a co-ed environment. It's also probably the first time our children have been able to make a big educational decision for themselves (options in year 9 is limited!)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I guess I am curious at the motivation for the varying rumours but I guess speculation is always going to happen when changes are announced. There are certainly plenty of parents wanting their children to get a grammar school place and if anything I get a sense that both Crypt and Ribston can carry on even with changes.
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

I welcome the introduction of another mixed grammar that will be towards the bottom of the pecking order for grammars, as opposed to Pate's at the top.

As for Ribston, I suspect that their position is secure. The ever-increasing housing around the south of Gloucester / west of Stroud means more school places are needed. Just look at the primaries - around Quedgeley many are oversubscribed with kids having to travel over 3 miles to find a school place!
susiesue

Post by susiesue »

Just spoke to someone I know who is Year 13 at Crypt. She seems to think that money is behind the decision of Crypt changing to co-ed and that it was going ahead.
She also mentioned that STR and Ribston were also thinking of following them down the co-ed route much to my surprise. Can anyone confirm this?

A primary school being built on site is also in the pipeline, which I can understand with the demand for school places so great, but changing to co-ed seems to be strange.
Amber

Post by Amber »

susiesue wrote:...money is behind the decision of Crypt changing to co-ed
Told you. 8)
susiesue wrote:She also mentioned that STR... were also thinking of following them down the co-ed route much to my surprise. Can anyone confirm this?
No. Though I think if Mr M were thinking of such a thing, he probably wouldn't be sharing it with his Y13s quite yet.
cazien

Post by cazien »

susiesue wrote:Just spoke to someone I know who is Year 13 at Crypt. She seems to think that money is behind the decision of Crypt changing to co-ed and that it was going ahead.
Crypt cannot be "that" short of money - they are constantly investing huge amounts of money. Over 5 million has been spent in the last 5 years and more development is planned to start in July (redeveloping the sports hall, at least 3 new classrooms and pavillion. To take girls in would increase expenditure to accommodate them (changing faciites/restrooms etc.) not to mention the prospect of changing the curriculum to (as much as I hate to say it!) "gender" based studies and sports. Yes, grants will probably be available for this, but as this is being proposed by Crypt, I guess they will have to find some funding.

They are, as with all the Grammars, oversubscribed and the figure is increasing yearly (40 more applicants for Sept 2016 compared with Sept 2015). This September they are expecting to admit 140 pupils + however many are successful on appeal/late test entries. Their 6th form is also oversubscribed - 347 applications for Sept 2016, (currently273) but they can only accommodate 300.

The school will not make a decision until further consultation has occurred in May. They are currently canvassing parents on their initial thoughts. I cannot envisage this not going ahead though. Maybe after the number of years they have had a co-ed 6th form, the girls are performing better than boys :wink: :lol: All reasons as to why Crypt are proposing this change is pure speculation at the moment.

At the end of the day, more pupils = more money = more growth = great education for Gloucestershire :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

NancyB wrote:I welcome the introduction of another mixed grammar that will be towards the bottom of the pecking order for grammars, as opposed to Pate's at the top.!
Very much agree Nancy. Would have loved to have had this option when we lived in the county. Also Gloucestershire is more accessible than Pates for many who would like the co-ed option. I know of people who chose Crypt despite scoring enough for all other Grammars and I suspect if it went co-ed they would get even more high scorers of both sexes.

I do hope one of the girls schools follows suit though as it would be most unfair if there were significantly less boys places available than girls and I don't think it would be right for STRs to have to take up the slack.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now