Dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jellyicecream

Re: Dilemma

Post by Jellyicecream »

Going to look at the comp again but Marling wouldn't even let us look again. I explained that is was 6 months ago that we looked round. I was told to look at the prospectus! Bit rude I thought.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Jellyicecream wrote:Going to look at the comp again but Marling wouldn't even let us look again. I explained that is was 6 months ago that we looked round. I was told to look at the prospectus! Bit rude I thought.
:shock: I agree.
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

There is something v compelling about a faith school.

Marling is not even c of e (which we are) which is unappealing to me as a parent. But not DS!

St. Peter's has a good reputation and I can appreciate your quandry.

I think Marling attempt to manage school visits to particular days unless special circumstances. As your do doesn't have an offer I guess not enough if a case.

Good luck with your decision.

Mrs D
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Mrsdevonshire wrote:There is something v compelling about a faith school.

Marling is not even c of e (which we are) which is unappealing to me as a parent. But not DS!

St. Peter's has a good reputation and I can appreciate your quandry.
At Primary, I think some parents believe that a Faith School will provide a better education. Some will, some won't - they're just the same as any school but with a few governors nominated by the church. One C of E VA primary I knew was in an area where the local Baptist church was very strong, to the point where the school felt more as if it was sponsored by the Baptists, not the C of E.

St. Peter's does have a very good reputation (and is as hard to get a place at as Marling). The children at Marling will still receive RE lessons. If you want an education where all the pupils will be in a similar ability bracket, choose Marling. If you want mixed ability education but with religious faith being first & foremost, choose St Peter's.

If you choose Marling, your son can still partake in faith-based activities outside school, whereas getting extra academic education to stretch him outside school will cost an arm & a leg.