Stroud High uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
steppemum

Re: Stroud High uniform

Post by steppemum »

Just thought I would update.
ds is giving me a really hard time because dd is choosing trousers, and 'she just doesn't get it, she won't make any friends, she'll be teased, it is so uncool'
me - well she doesn't care, she has never cared about being in the 'in' crowd, she makes her own friends (often the off beat people in the class) and she will just make friends with the other trousers wearers won't she.
'Mum you just don't GET IT. It is social suicide, she is starting all wrong'

A little concerned by this diatribe, I sat dd down and told her a (edited) version of what ds had said and we talked about wearing trousers.

She looked at me as if I had rocks in my head ' Mum ds is only concerned that me wearing trousers will make HIM look less cool! I don't care, you won't catch me in a skirt and tights'

I burst out laughing, because I think she is right, and I have no qualms now about her and the trousers, she will always walk her own path.
Proud mum moment!
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

steppemum,

I love this! Your daughter rocks, she is wise beyond her years and she is clearly going to be just fine.
authormum

Post by authormum »

I love this SO much! What a cool daughter you have!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I must say she is sometimes quite young for her age, so I have been worried, but then last Monday at the new parents evening 2 of the year 7s stood up and spoke about the fun things they have done this year and they included references to Harry Potter, Minions and Unicorns, and I breathed a sigh of relief, dd will fit in quite well.

It was also interesting that most of the parents I spoke to said that their daughter would prefer trousers, but that the woman in the uniform shop was very negative about trousers and talked them into buying skirts because 'all the girls wear skirts, no-one wears trousers'
Hmm, I suspect if she didn't do that 50% of year 7 would be in trousers and maybe the culture would change.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

latest update - we have just bought a skirt and tights :( :( :(

She missed the induction day on Friday because she was on a residential trip. There was a small induction morning yesterday for those not able to make last Friday.
When I picked her up, we went to collect the last bits of uniform from the shop. While we were there she asked me to buy her a skirt and tights. I just know from the way she asked and how ambivalent she was about buying the dreaded tights, that this is not really what she wants.

She went in yesterday with ds who goes to Marling, and there are a group of SHS year 8 girls who are ds friends and go on same transport. They were lovely, took dd under their wing, dd had a lovely time, and is looking forward to traveling with them in September, but I am sure that the skirt thing has come form them.

I know it doesn't matter, I know it is irrelevant really, I just feel sad that she is feeling pushed into this, I so much want to tell her to have the courage of her convictions and be herself, but actually I just have to step back and let her make her own choices.
cazien

Post by cazien »

steppemum wrote:I just feel sad that she is feeling pushed into this, I so much want to tell her to have the courage of her convictions and be herself, but actually I just have to step back and let her make her own choices.

One of the hardest things a parent has to do :(

I wish her good luck - who knows, maybe when she has settled in she may have the courage to return to her convictions :D
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

Has your daughter been on SHS buddy chat and asked for advice on there? My daughter is currently in Y7 and has answered someone else's question about trousers.

My daughter wears trousers, she has friends that wear trousers. She does wear a skirt (and ankle socks when warm, tights when not, both woolly tights and opaque tights) more often than trousers because of the fit!

She's not very tall and we had trouble last year getting trousers that would fit properly (had to get about 6inches taken off the bottoms!) around the waist and in length. We have just bought some more for the next academic year, these are also much too long and I will have to get them taken up again. If it wasn't for this hassle she'd probably wear trousers more.

The uniform shop are probably a bit vague about their trousers as they're such an awful fit and people have trouble getting them to fit correctly! Last year they did also say that as long as it was almost the correct grey, school trousers from elsewhere would be ok as long as similar style too.

Hope that helps a bit, and if your daughter hasn't been on buddy chat send her there!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks Clarcat,
she has been on buddy chat, and posted a question about trousers which someone answered - sounds like your dd!

I think she will end up in trousers, maybe a skirt in warm weather with ankle socks. I am just sad that there seems to be this push to wear the skirt all round. in the end it is dd who has to make the choice, so I am leaving her to it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

With issues around sexuality, gender and stereotyping being more and more in the news and more in the mainstream, I imagine there will be a revolution in school uniform soon. Your daughter sounds like she could be a pioneer at her school. I have just got back from a flight on which one of the female attendants was in trousers rather than the tight unflattering skirts worn by her colleagues. She looked so much better and more comfortable.

Strong women rock. :D
orlando

Post by orlando »

We are considering schools for 2017 and will look round Stroud High. My daughter hasn't worn a skirt or dress for years and would certainly be in trousers. I'd be horrified if I heard she would get a hard time from other girls about this! Surely the school has to clamp down on this sort of thing. It's 2016 and we've got a female prime minister ffs. Are schools still this badly stuck in the 1950's?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now