Stroud High uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyCat

Re: Stroud High uniform

Post by FluffyCat »

One blazer here - it is terrible quality, arms go shiny and shoulder goes bobbly where she carries bag - which needed replacing at 18 months. On the plus side, it washes and dries easily and quickly.

We managed on 4 shirts in Y7 but have now progressed to 6. These do wear incredibly well and we have just passed on the original four to a new starter, having inherited the new six!

Everyone hates the skirt, but my daughter wouldn't be seen dead in the trousers even though she isn't one of the 'popular' crowd. Her friend wears trousers and is despised for it by the popular crowd. But friend is tough and doesn't care. I would estimate 2 - 3 girls per year group wear trousers. You can get away with one skirt, but we have a slightly too big hand-me-down one as backup.

DD has two jumpers because she is a cold person and wears it a lot. One was a hand-me-down though :)

Agree with the extortionate cost. Child at Pate's cost me £70 to kit out (including bargain £9 M&S blazer which was much better quality than SHS one).

Games kit is expensive, but you can buy it fairly big. We bought the biggest skort that didn't fall down and the longest shirt that still showed her name on the skort. The hoody doesn't wear so well. The white bits look very sad after a time, although the rest of it still looks fine. I would suggest not buying the football boots or the tracksuit bottoms until she needs them (at least October half term). She may not need them at all (dd has used football boots 4 times and prefers running leggings under skort).

ToadMum - my neighbour offered me a bolt of SHS material that she had from when her mum used to make her SHS summer dresses! I threatened to make DD some shirts and she was horrified :lol:
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks everyone.
My experience with ds is that he needed a coat, as he walks. If he was on a bus to the door, I know he wouldn't.

She has this wonderful independent streak, eg, if she likes short hair, but everyone else has long hair, she will shrug her shoulders and say, so what, I don't care, I like it short. She is really quiet at school, but has this stubborn streak in her where she will stand her ground. I am proud of her, but she is very naive about secondary school life.

I am going to take her to the shop and try everything on, then she can choose. If she chooses trousers, that's fine. My worry was whether she would be actively teased, which is what ds is telling her.

Thing is, ds main goal in life is ot look cool and be one of the 'lads.' Dd doesn't care about that.
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

I have DD year 8 and when she started Stroud in year 7 for the whole lot it was an absolute fortune!

I would wait before buying the sweat pants for pe - she hasn't ever worn them! According to her - no one EVER wears jogging bottoms but you do need the hoody.

She has one blazer, one pack of shirts (2in pack) one skirt and one jumper.

Skirts seem to rule but I don't think she would be teased, the girls in DDs class seem to be quite supportive.

I've found the quality of skirts appalling!! Hems dropping, very thin. I wouldn't buy unless I had to and unfortunately we have to.

I figured they're at an age where growth spurts are common so didn't want to invest too heavily.

I also didn't go looking for all white trainers either. They're like unicorns hair to find and hugely expensive. I decided that if anyone picked her up on the fact her trainers were grey I'd explain they were decent traders at an affordable price - but no one has ever commented.

Also no one buys the school branded sports bags. The best ones to get are the ones that are soft rather than rigid as the rigid ones don't fit in the lockers.

Hope that helps!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

How on earth do you manage with only 2 blouses for a whole school week?
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

I have four children so the washing machine and dryer are both permenantly on :-(
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

Does anyone still buy long sleeve shirts?
I have boys, I know it's not quite the same but I buy 6x White short sleeve shirts. I use glo White and they stay white enough that ds2 gets to use them afterwards.

I have never bought long sleeve shirts, except for in reception. That would mean I'd have 24 shirts hanging up!

I never really understood long sleeve shirts because most kids wears short sleeve polo's at Primary and playgroup. Also when I worked in school long sleeve shirts were a fiddle faff to undo the cuffs for art, cooking, PE etc. In my experience classrooms are very warm.

Boys uniform is so boring, my ds1 wouldn't entertain the idea of wearing a grey shirt to Crypt.
1 blazer is enough, my son has a Pac a Mac incase it's pouring but he never wears it.
He would not fit a proper coat over his blazer and they already have so much to carry.

He only has one jumper because he rarely where's one.

I buy bits throughout the year as they need replacing and I use tesco vouchers for shirts.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Long sleeved shirt are definitely the norm at our local secondary schools, except in the summer, apart from one girls' grammar which only seems to have short-sleeved blouses on its uniform list and one comprehensive school where they wear polo shirts (under blazers, which I always thought would look weird, but the polo shirts are in 'strong' colours and it looks quite nice :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

At Marling the long sleeves are a compulsory part of uniform. Short sleeves are not allowed, even in summer. In summer you have to buy the logo polo shirts.
Having said that, he rolls his sleeves up most of the time, but you can get told off for that is the teacher is feeling fussy.

At SHS they offer short and long sleeved shirts, but I am not sure if the girls are allowed to wear short sleeves for the rest of the year, or only in the summer?

Ds fits a coat over his blazer, he has a superdry coat, and it is fine. I know many kids don't wear coats, but he seriously needs one, he would freeze otherwise, and actually he says a lot of boys (most?) do have a coat.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

thesenseschal - really pleased to see that your dd's year seem to be supportive. I have heard one or two comments about bitchy girls at shs recently and I was starting to worry a bit, I find your comment very reassuring.

On another note, I have just realised dd is going to miss her induction day as it is the same week as her year 6 residential :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

My sons wouldn't wear short sleeved shirts, though the school allows them. They prefer, as do their mates, to roll up the long sleeved ones in summer. Much more uncomfortable, I imagine, but social death if you have short sleeved ones, obviously :roll: .They have four each and only wear for one day. I am a line girl though not tumble drier and rather like the sight of them blowing in the wind.

No jumpers. That might be sensible, and we have bought several, but never have they been worn.

Girls will make comments about something, anything...it might not be trousers, but they always find something. I really admire a girl who knows her own mind. I hope steppegirl goes far in her trousers, bless her.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now