Stroud High uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: Stroud High uniform

Post by capers123 »

Amber wrote:With issues around sexuality, gender and stereotyping being more and more in the news and more in the mainstream, I imagine there will be a revolution in school uniform soon.
SHS are very strong on sexuality, gender & stereotyping issues. The school uniform code copes for all pupils, whatever they choose to wear on their legs.
Capers
Amber

Post by Amber »

capers123 wrote:
Amber wrote:With issues around sexuality, gender and stereotyping being more and more in the news and more in the mainstream, I imagine there will be a revolution in school uniform soon.
SHS are very strong on sexuality, gender & stereotyping issues. The school uniform code copes for all pupils, whatever they choose to wear on their legs.
I don't think anyone is doubting that - it is the issue of whether other girls are likely to tease one who chooses to go against the grain. My point was that maybe her time is coming - when she and others who don't want to look like everyone else and be uncomfortable to boot may be looked up to rather than made to feel like outcasts. Not a school-specific point at all, more a society one.
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

I really don' think anyone is going to tease anyone about wearing trousers rather than skirts- unless they are the type of girl that is like that anyway (and they'd find something to tease about if it wasn't trousers!)

My daughter hasn't been teased about wearing trousers at all, she wore them regularly in the winter months but hasn't worn them once the weather warmed up- a) because they had a hole and I hadn't got around to mending it and b) because they were quite thick fabric so rather hot and sweaty to wear in warmer weather.

No-one (as far as I am aware) has teased my daughter for wearing her trainers too and from school all year (she swaps into school shoes once she gets into school and swaps back to trainers before she comes home), I haven't seen anyone else doing that (not that I have looked!) my daughter does because it is more comfortable and saves wear on expensive fitted school shoes!

Ideally school need to add some nice tailored shorts to their uniform. In Primary school my daughter had some nice school shorts from Next that she wore through the summer months. I don't think it will happen but it would be good! I'll suggest my daughter sees if she can set up some kind of campaign for this next year!

Oh, and my daughter very rarely wears a dress or skirt at home, she hasn't for years! She has managed a year in a skirt most of the time at school though!

I hope that helps to reassure people a bit more about the skirts situation!
Munster

Post by Munster »

My daughter will be going into year 7. Do they need hockey boots and astro trainers? It isn't really clear. It would be good to get some advice as I do not want to spend a fortune if my daughter doesn't really need them
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Munster wrote:My daughter will be going into year 7. Do they need hockey boots and astro trainers? It isn't really clear. It would be good to get some advice as I do not want to spend a fortune if my daughter doesn't really need them
Not so far, and DD has just finished Y8. She has also never used the mouthguard (has yet to play hockey). She will need football boots, but don't buy them yet - they play it in winter (she thinks it was after half-term). I would also wait until half-term to buy the tracksuit bottoms (if at all, DD prefers running leggings).

Only stipulation for trainers was that they were white (and maybe non-marking?), but DD wore blue for all last year with only the occasional grumble from the PE staff.

DD qualifies the no hockey by saying that there is a new head of PE next year so she might bring in hockey (she has no evidence that she will and advises wait before spending your money!)
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thanks Fluffy Cat. I really appreciate your feedback :D
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

So dd started, has worn trousers everyday, no-one has said anything, she is happy, I guess the tights will stay in the drawer!

Loving it by the way. What a relief.

(ds still shakes his head at it, but has now learned to keep his mouth shut!)
The Drudge

Post by The Drudge »

I don't think any teasing comes from the girls. From what I've heard it's the Marling boys who nudge each other and shout "trousers" when they walk by.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

The Drudge - as ds is a Marling boy there may be a some truth in that!

Only 2 in her class in trousers, but she said no one is bothered or cares at all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now