Waiting list and movement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Trevor13

Waiting list and movement

Post by Trevor13 »

Hello all a bit of a lurker and was hoping I wouldn't have to worry but
We had the results of our reconsideration today and we were not successful.
We have been put on the waiting list and I wanted to know
Is there much movement on the waiting list? Anyone ds got a place while on the waiting?
Anyone ds not accepting a place at Marling today. We don't carry much hope but may go to appeal. We are 2 on the list.
cazien

Re: Waiting list and movement

Post by cazien »

Unfortunately there is usually not much movement, but peoples situations can change between now and 1st September. Last year, my friends DD was offered a place at a school on August 27th, so their is hope - if only a little! Start your appeal process, and rely on that more so than getting a place from the waiting list.

I know of children who have given up their GS place a few months into Y7 because they found the journey too much or, in one case, the train time-table changed and they could no longer get to school on time. This opens up places for in-year transfers.

Good Luck.
Trevor13

Post by Trevor13 »

Thank you. We don’t have much of a case for appeal only that he qualified but was not offered a place and we sat the late test due to relocation of work
I have been told today we will have to wait until the 18th when the reconsideration replies return to see if there is movement, but it seems only 3 boys were offered a place at reconsideration. I am hoping the waiting list number will not change now until we find out.
Do know what number your friends dd was?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Trevor13

I know a girl who was no. 2 on the waiting list for HSFG in June last year and she got a place. I also know someone who got into Pates but didn't like it there on the taster day in July so pulled out and went to his local comp. So fingers crossed for you!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

ds is Y8 at Marling and there was at least one boy in their year (in year 7) who arrived in Sept from the waiting list as someone had dropped out at the last minute, so it does happen.
SSSMM

Post by SSSMM »

Being so close on the waiting list there is a good chance your DS will get in but I would recommend an appeal - your case would be oversubscription as your DS has a qualifying score.
Trevor13

Post by Trevor13 »

Thanks all! Called the council today and we have now moved down. As I asked for an explanation I was told
Positions on the waiting list can go up or down at anytime now as parents request their child to added to or removed from the waiting list.
The waiting list has been re-ranked as a child has requested to have their score shared with Marling and be placed on the waiting list. If a place becomes available it will not be offered before the 18th April.
Can anyone explain this to be I thought all children were offered on the 1st match and reconsideration on the 4th then a waiting list but it seems we can still be moved back on this too :(
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Don't torture yourself trying to work out the movement on the waiting list. It could be any number of reasons.
Keep your cool. Prepare your appeal - your son has a qualifying score. If you are lucky you will be offered a place before the appeal is heard. If not, you may get a place on appeal. If you are not offered a place at appeal, you can remain on the waiting list. You have nothing to lose.
SSSMM

Post by SSSMM »

As fluffycat says absolutely anything can happen on the waiting list - in fact some of the boys ahead of you may well be on the waiting list for other schools meaning they could just as easily come off this waiting list and you will move up again.

As I understand it this school has increased their PAN to 150 (5 x classes of 30) from 120 (4 x classes of 30) but in many years have gone up to 128 pupils (4 x classes of 32 I assume from successful appeals) meaning they can cope with 32 pupils per class. With this in mind they could potentially cope with 5 x classes of 32 which would be 160. These extra places can only be allocated on appeal and of course the panel can award as many or as few places as they see fit.

Your place on the waiting list will have absolutely no bearing at appeal but having a qualifying score and strong academic evidence of grammar school ability would - you have nothing to lose by going to appeal and perhaps a lot to gain. You may even had been offered a place on waiting list before appeal anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
cob

Post by cob »

Hello,
I don't mean to gossip or raise anyone's hopes but I do know of someone who has a son with a space at Pate's who is most definitely going to go somewhere else. When they eventually give up the space that will of course create some movement.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now