Average score in Mock test/Paper's now for Pate's entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Average score in Mock test/Paper's now for Pate's entry?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:My son in his mocks was placed 142 out of 148. I nearly cried. He is however now at Tommies.
'However'?
The best result possible, surely. :D
Absolutely :lol: , wouldn't change it for the world now.

It was a dark place at the time thinking that there were only 6 people with less marks than him though. We absolutely thought at that time he didn't have a chance. So happy to have been wrong. It was a salutary lesson in never giving up hope!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
Amber wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:My son in his mocks was placed 142 out of 148. I nearly cried. He is however now at Tommies.
'However'?
The best result possible, surely. :D
Absolutely :lol: , wouldn't change it for the world now.

It was a dark place at the time thinking that there were only 6 people with less marks than him though. We absolutely thought at that time he didn't have a chance. So happy to have been wrong. It was a salutary lesson in never giving up hope!
But, to be honest, even if those 148 (boys and girls? The number of boys out of ?twice that in total who took that mock?) were all going to go on to take the real thing, it is such a small number compared to the number who took the real exam, it would be difficult to know where those 148 would fall within the spectrum of ability of the real field. Being ranked 142 could mean being ranked 142 out of the (?)2000 who would sit the real thing, or being ranked 1994th, or anywhere in between. Not to mention that if the Gloucestershire exam had gone over to CEM by then, there are no genuine papers / mocks in the public domain, so the standard of the mock would just be at best an educated guess on the part of the provider.

(Sorry - you can probably tell that one of my favourite radio programmes is R4's More or Less :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

It was a dark place at the time thinking that there were only 6 people with less marks than him though. We absolutely thought at that time he didn't have a chance. So happy to have been wrong. It was a salutary lesson in never giving up hope![/quote]

But, to be honest, even if those 148 (boys and girls? The number of boys out of ?twice that in total who took that mock?) were all going to go on to take the real thing, it is such a small number compared to the number who took the real exam, it would be difficult to know where those 148 would fall within the spectrum of ability of the real field. Being ranked 142 could mean being ranked 142 out of the (?)2000 who would sit the real thing, or being ranked 1994th, or anywhere in between. Not to mention that if the Gloucestershire exam had gone over to CEM by then, there are no genuine papers / mocks in the public domain, so the standard of the mock would just be at best an educated guess on the part of the provider.

(Sorry - you can probably tell that one of my favourite radio programmes is R4's More or Less :lol: ).[/quote]

That is so true, and I remember my husband trying to point out the same logic. He's far better at sorting wheat than chaff than me!
gmw.pts

Post by gmw.pts »

I know 5 children who took the 11+ test in 2015. Each of the 5 students was successful in being offered a place at one or more of the Gloucestershire grammar schools.

The children all used the CGP CEM Study books & Practice books for their preparation and in the summer used CGP CEM 11+ papers (Packs 1 & 2) and the Letts 11+ Success Bumper Pack Papers (Tests A,B,C & D).

Here is a breakdown of the results they achieved.

CGP Pack 1 - Test A: Marks ranged from 57% - 75%
CGP Pack 1 - Test B: Marks ranged from 65% - 85%
CGP Pack 2 - Test A: Marks ranged from 47% - 67%
CGP Pack 2 - Test B: Marks ranged from 50% - 72%

11+ Success - Test A: Marks ranged from 53% - 78%
11+ Success - Test B: Marks ranged from 57% - 73%
11+ Success - Test C: Marks ranged from 54% - 70%
11+ Success - Test D: Marks ranged from 57% - 81%

Male student 1 achieved overall average scores of 74% (CGP) & 76% (Letts CEM) and gained an unconditional place at Pates, being placed in the top 150.

Female students 2, 3 & 4 achieved overall scores in the range 57% - 64% (CGP) and 62% - 66% (Letts CEM) and gained rankings that gave them a choice of HSFG, Ribston & SHS. (Two chose HSFG and one chose SHS)

Female student 5 achieved overall scores of 56% (CGP) & 55% (Letts CEM) and gained a ranking for Ribston but not high enough for HSFG.

I hope that you will find the above information helpful and encouraging.
feather_123

Post by feather_123 »

Thank you very much all of you. A very useful information indeed gmw.pts.
Three more sleeps to go for us and we are hopeful.
All the best to children who are sitting for the exam on 10th Sep'16. Hope all goes well !!!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

that is rreally interesting gmw, thank you.
It also helps explain my own experience.

My dd is in year 7 at SHS. I tutored her. We did a lot, especially through August. She is a high flyer at her primary and ended up with 120 in one of her SATs.
BUT she got 40% in the mock test she sat. We used all the CPG books, and in the tests at the back she was scoring 50-60% if she stuck to the timings given. remove the time frame and it went up to 70%. But especially in maths, she often only got through half the questions.

I had assumed she wouldn't pass. Then she did the test, came out saying that it was easier than CPG books, and that she had finished pretty much every section!!

She passed in top 150 for SHS. We were amazed, given her low scores on those CPG tests.

I have been preparing my friends dd for this year's test. (mum has very little English) Incredibly bright girl, really a Pates candidate. But in the practice tests we couldn't get her score up above 75%, mainly due to not being able to do the questions in the time. Given my dds experience I am confident she will get in to SHS, but given what you have said gmw, I am now wonderingif she may actually get that Pates place.
She sat on Saturday and came out saying that it was OK, one of two differently formatted questions threw her (I think she has Aspergers, so anything different throws her) She missed a couple of questions, but said that there were only "5 words she didn't know in all the English and verbal reasoning sections"

I will be very interested to see how she scores.