Number of tests/questions etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

allovernow

Number of tests/questions etc

Post by allovernow »

Did the admissions test with DS just before it changed to CEM style. Can anyone give some guidance on the new CEM formats:-

1. The number of tests (2?). How long each one? Number of questions?

2. The content of each one (I think it's English + VR; Maths + non-VR).

Thanks!
scary mum

Re: Number of tests/questions etc

Post by scary mum »

Have you read this section?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

No - but have now - many thanks!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Only the first bit is relevant on that bit as the last bit refers to the old style VR exams.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not English plus VR. It is English VR.

There are three different formats tested: English VR which is testing verbal ability such as range of vocabulary and ability to chose a matching or different word from a list and unshuffle a sentence, Maths NR which is numerical reasoning consisting of short maths questions and NVR which is Non Verbal reasoning.

There is plenty of CEM format materials in the shops but CEM themselves do not produce any past papers for sale, just one sample paper which will be on the school's website. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

That is slightly misleading Daogroupie.
There is a big overlap between the English and the Verbal Reasoning, but all the materials are sold as

Maths
Non Verbal Reasoning
Verbal Reasoning
English.

To cover everything you need to look at all 4.
English materials cover comprehension and grammar/punctuation
The Verbal Reasoning materials cover spelling and word meanings synonyms/antonyms etc.

As I said there is massive overlap, but if, for example, you buy the CPG practice books, you need all 4.

The Verbal Reasoning though is NOT the same at all as the verbal reasoning in the previous test, which included codes, and lots of word tricks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is incorrect. There is not a fourth CEM section called English. CEM is defined as three different formats:

1. Verbal Ability/Verbal Reasoning (VR)

2. Numerical Reasoning (NR)

2. Non Verbal Reasoning (NVR)

Schools that use the complete CEM format tend to have VR (50%) NR 25% and NVR 25%

HBS just has VR (50%) and NR (50%)

DAO and the SW Herts Consortium just use the VR (100%)

If you look on the DAO and the HBS websites they refer to their CEM test as the Verbal Reasoning Test.

CEM has redefined Verbal reasoning as Multiple Choice Comprehension, Shuffled Sentences, Antonyms and Syonyms, odd one out and compound words. There is no separate session called English.

An English exam such as DAO and the second round of HBS and the private school is standard format English Comprehension and Composition. That is an English paper.

DAO offers an English paper, a Maths paper and a Verbal reasoning paper according to their website.

HBS offers the same according to their website.

Nobody should be calling a CEM exam an English paper because it is not.

CEM have redefined Verbal Reasoning and I now define Athey style Verbal Reasoning as old style Verbal Reasoning.

For new parents coming into the 11 plus market the third section of CEM is Verbal Reasoning and they do not know any different.

I expect the old style Verbal Reasoning to disappear from the market in the next few years. Habs girls and St Albans girls abandoned it last year, DAO and SW Herts the year before and Merchant Taylors this year. DG
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

This link taken from the STRS website (but I think it is used for them all), I think answers the question for the Gloucestershire exam:

https://strschool.co.uk/admissions/docu ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what we practiced for.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you. It does indeed.

Three main headings:

1. Questions that test Verbal Ability.

2. Questions that test Numerical Ability

3. Questions that test Non-Verbal Ability

The word English is not mentioned. Comprehension comes under the Questions that test Verbal Ability. DG
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I hear what you are saying Daogroupie, and I am not all contradicting that, what I am saying is that if you buy the CPG books to practise for the test, they sell 4 books that between them cover the test material. They are labelled as Verbal reasoning and English.

In the English practice book they have comprehension questions and punctuation and grammar and in the verbal reasoning book they have more synonyms and antonyms, spellings etc.
I realise that that is not how the CEM describe it, but if you don't have both books you don't have complete coverage. When you are DIYing, it may not be obvious where the gaps are.

There is huge amount of overlap between the practice questions they give, but if you only buy one book or the other, you don't have everything.