Number of tests/questions etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gillbowmer

Re: Number of tests/questions etc

Post by gillbowmer »

I am concerned at the number of Gloucestershire pupils who are still being tutored for the old type tests, particularly the VR as used in the GL tests. Most of this is not relevant for the CEM tests. CGP do provide useful material for CEM. There is no point in children being taught the old 21 types. They need much more emphasis on advanced vocabulary, high level comprehension skills and maths to the old SATs level 6.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

gillbowmer wrote:I am concerned at the number of Gloucestershire pupils who are still being tutored for the old type tests, particularly the VR as used in the GL tests. Most of this is not relevant for the CEM tests. CGP do provide useful material for CEM. There is no point in children being taught the old 21 types. They need much more emphasis on advanced vocabulary, high level comprehension skills and maths to the old SATs level 6.
Crikey, really? My ds sat the first of the Gloucester CEM exams and we knew back then. How is this still happening?!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This is why it is important that parents understand what the test comprises of and checks what the tutor is teaching if they are going to use a tutor. It's not just a case of handing over your money and your child and expecting everything to be fine. Sometimes it isn't.
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

Thanks for all the information.

Reading the familiarisation booklet published for Gloucestershire, it appears:

1. There are 2 papers (each about 45-50 mins) - Comprehension + VR, Maths + NVR

2. Each paper is split into sections and candidates do timed sections - once a section is done it is not possible to go back to it. Is this correct and, if so, does anyone know how many sections there are?

3. The booklet states that all questions have multiple choice format answers - there's no "free format" answers and no rough paper (candidates use areas of the test paper for rough work) - is that correct?
cazien

Post by cazien »

allovernow wrote:Thanks for all the information.

2. Each paper is split into sections and candidates do timed sections - once a section is done it is not possible to go back to it. Is this correct and, if so, does anyone know how many sections there are?

3. The booklet states that all questions have multiple choice format answers - there's no "free format" answers and no rough paper (candidates use areas of the test paper for rough work) - is that correct?
The familiarisation booklet is vague but I guess it can't give too much away :lol: TO answer your questions -

!. Yes there are two papers with a 15ish minute snack break in between.
2. When each timed section in each paper is complete you cannot go back to that section. Sorry no idea as to how many sections are in each paper.
3. Answers have to be marked in corresponding box. Only mark one box and make sure any changed answer is completely rubbed out. There is no rough paper - the question paper can be marked on as much as you like but the answer sheet must not be used.

Good luck.
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

allovernow wrote:Thanks for all the information.

There are 2 papers. They are approx. 45-50mins each, and each paper has around 5-6 sections on. Each section may last between 7 - 20 minutes (give or take) - depending on how many questions are in that section and what it is (by which I mean maths etc) Each section has a specific time and that is stated on the CD and in the question book.

At the end of the section (as indicated on the CD) the candidates must stop and put pencils down - they cannot go back to that section (nor could they start the next section early if they finished a section)

There is no rough paper allowed - candidates are allowed to write rough work on the question books. All answers are marked on a personalised (candidates name, dob, test centre) answer sheet using a straight line pencil mark across one of the multiple choice options (such as in SATs and CATs tests, I believe)
Bee

Post by Bee »

We were advised to spend 30 sec on NVR questions and 1 min on Maths questions while doing practice tests. I may be wrong, but all the practice papers we did were formatted in this way for Eg if there were 20 maths Ques, you'd get around 20 mins.

DD was initially struggling with timings specially with Maths, trying to do some maths within a min was difficult but I guess that's what they test on.

Verbal activity will be slightly different though - I think they will allocate various times for various sections for ex 10 VR to be done in 6 mins.

We did the CGP and Bond CEM papers that are individually time and it helps a lot.
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

Thanks - what is the purpose of the CD? Is it just a way to time the sections (as opposed to an invigilator calling out to ask candidates to start/stop)?
cazien

Post by cazien »

Yes, the CD is played giving out instructions. Invigilators are in the room logging any problems, assisting any DC who has a problem etc.
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

The CD means that all timings are exactly the same (could theoretically differ by a few seconds if a person was doing it) and all instructions are read at an even pace with no mistakes/ stumbling and in a neutral accent.

The invigilator has a script to use as backup if there is a need (such as equipment failure)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now