Which school is right

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

steppemum

Re: Which school is right

Post by steppemum »

The grammar schools are (not to put too fine a point on it) exam factories.

I feel quite annoyed about this comment actually for several reasons.

first, having visited a lot of secondary schools, I can tell you that every single school was concerned massivley by exam results and that that is part of our current system.
Second, as I have friends with kids in many schools, at a variety of ages, I would say bright kids have more pressure on them to achieve results for the school in non grammars actually.

but third, I have a son in year 9 at Marling and a daughter in year 7 at Stroud High. Our experience has been the polar opposite of yours. We have found the schools to be really concerned about individual children, to be caring and pastorally good. The school emphasise lots of things, including fun, and not just academic achievement.

Your comments about 'running with the pack' we have actually also found to be opposite. Far from this being a negative thing, what we have found is that the lessons are pitched at our kids level and that they are able to work well, without being bored, and achieve well, without hours and hours of homework. Again compared to others in other schools, my kids seem to have a fairly well paced and achievable work load.
Neither of mine are the top of their class, neither stood a chance of getting into Pates, but they are definitely relaxed and happy at their schools.

I totally agree that grammar school doesn't suit everyone. I would add, that a boys only or girls only school doesn't suit everyone either. I am sorry your experience has been negative, but I am not sure it is true for all, or even most.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

year 12 entry is also nothing new.
I took O Levels back in the 1980s.
You couldn't go on to sixth form and do A levels unless you had the basic requirements (I think it was 5 O levles including maths and English)

So entry to sixth form has never been guaranteed.
essaouira

Post by essaouira »

Stepmum, I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I haven't had a "negative" experience and my child is coping well as clearly are yours. My point is that parents should not overreach. A few points down the scale and my child may have been struggling and happier at a different school.

I'm happy to retract my statement that grammar schools (and as you rightly say many other schools also) are exam factories - it was hyperbole. They are educational establishments with a keen eye on the only metric by which they are judged by the wider public. Exam results. My sense is that they have too keen an eye on them but that is a different discussion.
essaouira

Post by essaouira »

steppemum wrote:year 12 entry is also nothing new.
I took O Levels back in the 1980s.
You couldn't go on to sixth form and do A levels unless you had the basic requirements (I think it was 5 O levles including maths and English)

So entry to sixth form has never been guaranteed.
5 O Levels including Maths and English.

Compare to Pate's requirements... 22 points from your best 8 GCSE grades - where A*=4, A=3, B=2, C=1

If we had chosen Marling we would have had a first class education and the criteria to enter the Sixth Form is much lower - similar to your example from the 80s as far as I can tell - so much less chance of disruption in 5 years

That is why there is a certain sense of caveat emptor. It isn't something we anticipated to be honest.

Not that we are not delighted he is there and confident he can pull it off but you have to admit that Pate's focus on exam results is somewhat intense!
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

The requirement for sixth form entry at Pate's has in fact changed - it is now 57 points, based on the new 9 to 1 grading, from your best eight results.

With two children at Pate's I can definitely say that the school is much more than an exam factory. It doesn't have to be, because the children are very able and mostly ambitious.

House events, drama productions, music, sports, flexible learning days, plus every Tuesday afternoon off timetable for enrichment show that the school does not just focus on exams and grades.

The requirements for sixth form are tough but then it means that at A level a certain standard of teaching and learning can be reached. And by this age many students change school voluntarily anyway.
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Interesting reading - I have one at STRS, one at HSFG and a Year 5 who looks to be heading in a similar direction so very interested to read everyone's thoughts. Can only say that I feel that mine are both supported 100% pastorally speaking, and at STRS in particular I honestly believe that exam results come well behind pupils' well-being in the list of priorities. On the one occasion I have had to call on one of the schools with quite a serious issue my child had, it felt as though a well-oiled machine kicked into action and scooped us all up in a big protective blanket to help us through it! Work is generally perfectly pitched for them, with just the right amount/lack of pressure. I would also just share that a certain non-selective comp saw fit to show a projection during a Year 11 parents' meeting last year naming individual pupils in order of their expected grades as a motivation tool! Same school told a friend at the end of Year 12 they couldn't return for Year 13 as their ASs weren't good enough, despite good results all year. Can't speak for Pate's but I think grammar/non-selective is definitely not the best tool for judging how pressurised a school will be.
essaouira

Post by essaouira »

Good point, parismum. There may be even more pressure on the more academically inclined in the comprehensives as they carry more of the burden of achievement in their shoulders.

That example of projecting the kids is horrific!
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

A particularly unnerving discovery was the intensity of revision expected before the end of year exams which was quite a shock to the system for both of us and did make me wonder whether deciding that they try and compete with that group was the best decision
My son is in Year 11 at Pate's. He said that at no point has he felt pressurised at school to do loads of revision or under pressure to gain certain grades in exams.

I also have a child at a different Grammar School and one at a Comprehensive School. Out of the three of my children, I would say my one at Pate's does the most fun things eg House Music, House Drama, Tuesday afternoon's which are spent doing different activities.
essaouira

Post by essaouira »

Did you not find the revision schedule for the end of year 7 exams slightly onerous, Lynne? 2 hours a day during half term? Maybe we're doing it wrong! Or maybe his previous school's requirements hadn't prepared us. I'm open to both theories.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

essaouira wrote:Did you not find the revision schedule for the end of year 7 exams slightly onerous, Lynne? 2 hours a day during half term? Maybe we're doing it wrong! Or maybe his previous school's requirements hadn't prepared us. I'm open to both theories.
My DD is now in Y9 at Pate's and in both Y7 and Y8 wasn't stressed by exams. She spent time creating flash cards which were pinned up all over the house, but for each subject only had 2 or 3 (and we all learnt a thing or two as they were everywhere!). She received good guidance from her teachers leading up to the exams themselves and in both years did very well. She certainly didn't spend 2 hours a day on revision, but felt well prepared. I felt that the school got the pace just right in preparing them for the exam week (it is an intense week, or rather 3 days) but they are soon over. Exam week is exam week after all and that would be the same wherever they are at school.

My DS has just started at Pate's and so far so good. Our experience of the school is very positive and although academic ability and achievement plays its part - it is by no means the be all and end all of the school, although it seems that is its reputation (rightly or wrongly). The kids really get stuck in and the house events throughout the year are definite highlights. I agree that it is important to find the right school where your DC will thrive and the relationship between school and home is so key, wherever they end up, if that is good, they will do well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now