Which school is right

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
essaouira

Re: Which school is right

Post by essaouira »

She certainly didn't spend 2 hours a day on revision, but felt well prepared.
Good for her!

We had a revision timetable provided by the school which suggested 3 weeks revision (including the half term) 1 hour a day term time and 2 hours a day half term.

Boy was he glad when that was over!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

DD Y9 at Denmark, DS Y7 at Crypt. I've found both schools to be extremely caring & interested in developing the 'whole child'. For example - strong music & arts not just academic focused.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Two at grammars here. Both with a really positive experience, the grammars seem small enough in size to know their individual pupils really well. Obviously I don't have experience of comprehensives locally so couldn't say what they are like. I do know that first DC would have been lost in a bigger school though and for us, that was the deal breaker.

For us, grammars have provided fantastic pastoral care, with lots of additional opportunities for enrichment and challenge. Success and effort are celebrated in a positive way but there has always been a focus on what they could do to improve. As one headteacher used to say, "good is the enemy of excellent".

Neither have been overwhelmed by homework or revision, it has always been manageable. As I said, I don't know what the alternative would have been like but, for us, the grammars have provided the best fit. I think as parents, you have to know what you are buying into either way and be committed to supporting your child and the school to get the best out of it.
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Hi, my son said they were given out revision guidelines, but I suppose it is down to the individual to how much revision is needed. My son didn't do a lot in the first few years at Pate's, as he fully understood what was being taught and remembered it (his words when I nagged him to revise). He just concentrated on subjects he found harder.
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

I thought this was a very eloquent articulate and honest post and would have been tremendously helpful to me if I'd had any sort of dilemma over Pates v another school.

My DS is happily settled at Marling and for many reasons had he got in to Pates (he didn't) I don't think he would have settled as well - mainly the travelling which is not insignificant and not knowing anyone at all. Also can be very lazy! The 11+ prep was bad enough. Can't imagine him revising though know it will come.

MY DD is hoping for SHS and whilst she achieved qualifying score but is ranked lower than I was hoping for (her brother wasn't) various posts on here about SHS have reassured me that once she is in she will be fine. If she gets a place. She is also a yellow giraffe...(we did have a laugh about that).

Thanks to the original post again for such a high quality post and accepting many parents have made choices they are very happy with, I expect this will have helped many more than have commented.

thanks
Mrs D