Rankings list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazien

Re: Rankings list

Post by cazien »

The Drudge wrote:Jerseycow, remember that some people won't take a place at all. Several children will go to independent schools. Good luck!
I have known DC's qualifying for single sex schools and not taking up places as they wanted Pates - esp those out of county.

Don't know if it still happens (not sure of dates/exams bodies anymore) but parents used to register for the test here as a "trial run" for the exam in their own area :roll:
jerseycow

Post by jerseycow »

Those poor kids! Don't think she likes anyone talking about getting in/not getting in so will just have to apply and forget about it till march. :) Either way, there is a very good comp nearby.
Jolem2000

Post by Jolem2000 »

Mumof2of2 wrote:Hi there

Received rankings of 361 for SHS today and 425 for ribston any clues on the chances of admissions ?
I went to the SHS open evening last night. My DD has a similar ranking to you. I spoke to the admissions lady and she said they went to a ranking of 342 last year but this year there are 30 extra places in the county as HSFG have increased their PAN this year. So fingers crossed they will go down a bit further this year!
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

We went to SHS open morning yesterday and we have decided that it is the school for our DD! so we won't be taking up the space with Ribston and Denmark road which our DD was in top 150. Good luck everyone with your first choice!!
mum2368

Post by mum2368 »

Hi Tabbycat, can i ask what you thought of stroud high? How does it compare from gut insticnt to the other 2 grammar schools?

My daughter ranked
shs 254
hsfg 292
ribston 297

We have completed our caf form and am aware we can change till 31st, but feel even more of a dilemma as i believe she has good chance of entry to any of the above 3.
Last edited by mum2368 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Congratulations, mum2368!

I genuinely think ALL the three schools are excellent and your DD will do great in any school she chooses to go.

I have DD1 in Y8 at Ribston and DD2 is going to be in SHS from September 2017. As we live 5 minutes drive from SHS, 25 minutes from Ribston and 35 Minutes from Denmark road, our real option was Ribston or SHS so I cannot offer any info on Denmark road,,, sorry.

DD1 loves Ribston because it is quite a diverse mixture of girls there (rich and poor and all racial back grounds if I am allowed to say that???) compared to Stroud High School which my DD1 described as 'Yellow giraffes' meaning slim, blond and long flicky hair!! Despite the long hours of bus ride in the morning (her joint school bus for Ribston, Crypt and St Peters) has a massive loop route so she catches 7:21 bus (thankfully right in front of our house at least,,,) and takes 1 hours and 10 minutes in the morning! On the way back is one of the first stops so she is home by 16:07. Despite the early morning, she is very happy and into a lot of sports activities and the school really encourages their girls in taking part. This season, she is doing football, netball, rugby and cricket . Apart from cricket it is lunch time club so she can catch the school bus home and still do a lot of activities. However, when there is a tournament I have to pick her up at around 5:15 as no alternative public bus running. They set their girls for Maths only at the beginning of Y7. DD1's ranking on 11 plus test was pretty low (345) so we were slightly worried about her academic level but she was in top set and still in top set so that boosted her confidence. They do set quite a lot of homework and my DD1 learnt a lot about managing her workload and time last year.

My DD2 did not feel at all the girls at Stroud was yellow giraffes when we were on their open morning. She loved everything about the girls, class rooms, the teachers. I was really surprised how clear it was in her mind that she prefers SHS. I felt the girls at SHS have really good relationship with their teachers and very proud to be there. Being so close to our house ticks my box big time too!

I strongly recommend you to go to open mornings for each schools rather than the evening to get the true sense of each school life. I find open evening is a bit more like a show and do not get to see the true pictures. When we are going around at SHS, we saw a girl getting told off by her teacher and I thought that was really good! Our tour guide (2 Y8 girls) were so chatty and got all the info we wanted and more! I could see that they had personal relationship with all the teachers and they genuinely enjoy their school.

Each girls are different and each school has a different charm to offer. If for some reasons, your DD does not have a clear preference, then I will definitely choose the school that is the easiest to get to from your house.
EvilTwins

Post by EvilTwins »

DD was ranked 198 for Pates. Does she have any chance of getting in? I'm new to this! It's complex because she's a twin and the other one didn't get a ranking for Pates. We'd kind of banked on them going to the same school. Other DD's ranking was only 6 places lower for Denmark Rd & Ribston but obviously she didn't make the 200 for Pates.
mum2368

Post by mum2368 »

Tabbycat, thank you for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it.

Peoples experiences of other schools certainly help towards a final decision ***
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

tabbycat, you may have had a tour by my daughter the other morning!

There are teachers she likes and teachers she doesn't! They don't set at SHS until Y9 apparently. In year 7 they mostly stick together for lessons as a tutor group (some mixing happens with DT, think they've also added RE to this this year because of the extra 32 girls - 30 x5 plus an extra 2 per year group that they take on appeal)

In Year 8 they mix them up a bit! My daughter is still with friends but mixed sort of half and half with another tutor group. They're also more mixed for languages as they take a 2nd language in Y8- German or Spanish.

She seems happy enough there. She passed for Ribston and SHS, SHS is closer, Ribston was our potential back up!
Also, she's not tall, and not blond!!
mum2368

Post by mum2368 »

Clarcats,

Did your daughter go to SHS with friends she knew? If not did you find that she settled well into her group etc.

We all tend to focus on the rankings of our children & often where we would like our children too go & sometimes failing to fully acknowledge our childs views as we feel as parents we know what is best!!!

Some of the tours at different schools she has bounced in and bounced out which is good & several visits not so enthusiastic. I thought once results and rankings were out it would feel better, but now worried about making the wrong decision!!!!! Feels a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey so to speak!!!

It is really good to hear currents parents experience of the schools as the insight and knowledge helps us to make informed decisions xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now