opinions on Ribston hall verses The high school for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TPO

opinions on Ribston hall verses The high school for girls

Post by TPO »

Hi! i'm new to this site, i wanted to know peoples opinions on my subject??
also might sound a bit dim but what is with the my DD or my DS and DC???? i can see there is a boy girl difference but could some one please explain.
:)

Thanks
tpo x
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi and welcome to the madness of the 11+ forum.

DS, DD and DC are all abbreviations standing for what I believe to be Darling Son, Darling Daughter and Darling Children respectively. There has been discrepancy and discussions in the past regarding exactly what the "D" stands for but hope this helps de-code a little!

Regarding your question, unfortunately I have no experience of either school (other than the fact I went to Ribston many moons ago!) so am unable to assist but I am sure somebody will be along shortly who should be able to help!

B
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Glos_Mum

I believe 'High School for Girls' refers to Denmark Road not Stroud High.

TPO

In a nutshell, many regard the High School as more academic whilst Ribston is considered strong in 'the arts', especially drama, dance etc.

This is a very unscientific opinion and I'm sure other people out there can give a more comprehensive view.

Orson
TPO

Post by TPO »

Thanks B for the clear up! I thought so but wanted to check :) .

Thanks for you post on my subject as well, i am asking because my DD :lol: , has qualified for both Ribston Hall and Stroud High School but as we found out due to finally getting the scores in the post and Denmark Road sending us a letter, she was just under by 3 marks on the first paper and did very well on the second paper, that they suggested we appeal for a place (also they said they still have places).

We only put Ribston down for first choice(she has been offered a place there and we accepted) because to my suprise she didn't qualify for Denmark, i guessed it would have had to of been extremely close as she passed for Stroud high which is a min of 116.

Sorry if i'm waffling a bit but i guess what i'm trying to ask is is it worth appealing! I keep on getting different views on which school is better because i have mentioned to people that we wanted to appeal,we would have put Denmark Rd first if she had qualified straight off.

Im conflicted basically! :?
Our only child and i'm not sure what the appeal wants of us??
Please can anyone help with any advise, views or similar circumstance as us this year.

Thanks tpo x
TPO

Post by TPO »

Thanks all for your posts so far much appreciated!
tpo x :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

[.
Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
TPO

Post by TPO »

Thanks Glos mum food for though!

tpo x
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

It's funny how the grammar schools in Gloucestershire are perceived.
The boys schools in Gloucester tend to be seen as Tommies being the "academic hothouse" and Crypt a bit more laid back/arty and sporty.Same with the girls schools-Ribston same as Crypt,Denmark Road same as Tommies.This also might be something to do with a child needing higher scores to get into Denmark Road and Tommies!

I have no experience personally of any of the girls schools-have friends whose daughters go to Ribston and are very happy.I think you will need to decide exactly what type of school your DD will thrive at and where her interests lie-she has already done very well to get a place at Ribston as I know that it is fully allocated for September and there are girls on the waiting list who passed but didn't get offered a place.What does your DD think? Does she have friends going to either of the schools?

If she really is happy with Ribston do you want the added stress of an appeal-or if she really wants the High School then there is nothing to lose and everything to gain from appealing!

Wishing you the best of luck!
GM
TPO

Post by TPO »

Good points GM thanks!

We will chat to our DD but i think now on reflection that we have nothing to lose as said so might as well try so i don't end up suffering from "what if" syndrome! :lol:

Thanks again tpo x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now