Denmark appeals success ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

Were you successful in appeal for Ribston Dayn ?
dayn

Post by dayn »

Hi,

No, my appeal was not successful. It was always a long shot as my daughter didnt pass. Didnt get any explanation from the panel but if I want any information about the appeal I should write to the school, I wont bother as it wont change anything, but at least we now have closure on it!
dayn

Post by dayn »

I was told there were 34 girls on the waiting list, does that mean 9 got in on appeal to bring it down to 25?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

wilmotclan wrote:Found out yesterday we lost our appeal, gutted as know one child admitted who didn't pass despite the fact 25 children on the waiting list who did pass !!!!
The appeals panel do not know about waiting list position - otherwise they might be tempted just to take the top ones... which would make the whole idea of independent appeals pointless.

We are told who has passed, and who has not, and their scores. I would not hesitate to allow an appeal for a child who has not passed, providing that:

1) there are really good reasons / mitigating circumstances for them not passing, and

2) it looking from the information provided to us that they would be up to handling the work at a grammar (no point allowing an appeal if the child is going to struggle and leave the school after a term!).

Appeals for children who didn't pass have to be much stronger than those for those who did pass. For this years appeals at the school I was on the panel for, we did allow one non-pass, but it was such a strong case that it was quite an easy decision for us (poor administration of the test). And no, it wasn't the school you're talking about, so I don't need to feel guilty!
Capers
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

Hi Capers, interested to hear you say appeals panel dont know where child is on waiting list as during our appeal the school governor putting case forward for school stated where my DD was on the waiting list. Was this bad practice ? Could this have jeapordised our case?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

wilmotclan wrote:Hi Capers, interested to hear you say appeals panel dont know where child is on waiting list as during our appeal the school governor putting case forward for school stated where my DD was on the waiting list. Was this bad practice ? Could this have jeapordised our case?
No. What I should have said was that we're not given a list of waiting list positions. We are given the scores, and it's not hard to work out a rough position on the waiting list.

However, when it comes to appeals, the waiting list position really doesn't matter at all. The score is taken into account, but a low score can be balanced out by a good mitigating circumstance (which of course doesn't affect the waiting list position - that's why there are appeals).
Capers
mum1234

Question for Capers

Post by mum1234 »

Hi Capers,
I was interested in your comment posted on 28th July about the non-pass appeal that was upheld; what did you mean by "poor administration of the test"?
capers123

Re: Question for Capers

Post by capers123 »

mum1234 wrote:Hi Capers,
I was interested in your comment posted on 28th July about the non-pass appeal that was upheld; what did you mean by "poor administration of the test"?
It was along the lines of the invigilator starting the 2nd 1/2 of test without the child present. There was a lot more to it than that but I'd prefer not to say; however, if you have experienced a similar problem, PM me and I'll chat.
Capers