Pates Practice Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverflora

Pates Practice Papers

Post by silverflora »

We had a quick look at the practice papers available on the Pates' web site.

When DD was doing Paper 1 where you move a letter from one word to the next to form 2 new words, DD came up with answers that were not correct as far as the answer sheet was concerned, but I felt were equally valid.

e.g. for FEAST OLD - DD put EAST FOLD ( official answer FEAT SOLD)
and BREAD ASH - DD put READ BASH (official answer BEAD RASH)

(BASH is in all our dictionaries).

As these are multiple chpice papers marked by computer, it made me wonder whther alternative answers were allowed for, or whether only the "official" answer was accepted as correct.

Does anyone know?

Thanks Silverflora

p.s. Have we spotted a mistake in Paper 2 Section 3 Question G about Canal Transport in Britain.....
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

We noticed these, as well as a few others. I can only assume that the real test will definately only have 1 correct answer. The practice papers just haven't been as carefully checked.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I agree with you Jimi-the real papers will have been checked and double checked for these type of problems

GM
EmeraldE

Is this the general standard?

Post by EmeraldE »

I have just had a look at the Pates papers and they seem to be quite difficult. Is this the general standard expected? They seem a lot more advanced than the Nfer papers I have. Glad I discovered them at this stage and not a year from now :?
Orson

Post by Orson »

The Pates papers are difficult. Don't worry.

Orson
EmeraldE

Pates PAPERS

Post by EmeraldE »

Thanks Orson
I was beginning to lose the will to live there!!
Last edited by EmeraldE on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Do they not take the same test regardless of whether applying to Pate's or the Gloucester grammar schools and regardless of where they are actually taking it? Some years ago, the tests used to be different but I thought it was one and the same test now.
It isn't a different test for Pate's, is it?
Sorry, just intrigued by the test papers put on the Pate's website, and Orson's comment about it being hard.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

The test is the same for all the Grammar Schools in Gloucestershire, regardless of where you sit it. I think Orson was referring to the practice test paper(s) on their website and not the real deal in November.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
minimum

pates practice papers

Post by minimum »

Hi

i'm a bit new here, and only made a decision for my daughter to sit for Pate's at the eleventh hour. We printed off the test papers and bumbled through them, untimed, just to get an idea of standard.

In the short time we have looked at these papers, and NFER ones, I agree that the Pates papers seem the most tricky. However, why would they allow practice papers that are noticeably harder than the expected test? Just a thought, but given our newness to the system, I am aware that our experience is very limited.

Can anyone help on paper 4, Q6, E - we are completely stuck on this!

anyway, I am heartened that others agree on the high standard of these papers, and resolve to keep it all in perspective for the moment at least!
EmeraldE

HI

Post by EmeraldE »

I cannot work that one out either!! I know the answer is FI IF but I do not know why!! The real test is the same over the Glos Grammars. The practice papers on Pates are Pates own and not the standardised Nfer ones, they are only there just as examples of question types. Let's hope the real test is not as tricky as some of the examples on there or DS will be in tears!

Perhaps some schools put very tricky papers on their sites to discourage kids/parents who are not 100% committed to the school or grammar school admission process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now