How did you get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PMJ

How did you get on?

Post by PMJ »

My daughter said the first paper was easy - like the last two NFER practice tests. The second paper was much more difficult - she had done the fireworks ones and found them harder and said it was more like them.

She skipped three or four of the lengthy questions on purpose and still had to guess a few at the end.

She said there was one question type she'd only come up against before in the earlier-stage Bond books, something about making a new word following a pattern, but she couldn't really remember. She said it was quite hard.

I'm just glad she didn't lose her nerve, so I'm happy she's at least given a good account of herself, whatever the outcome.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

DD came bouncing over to find us as if she was a little Tigger. She had to guess 5 answers at the end of paper 2, but otherwise finished both papers.

A couple of her school friends didn't finish paper 1.

No disturbances nor extra loo trips. Clock in classroom, teacher (pleasant) gave countdown. All in all, nothing to use at an appeal!

I saw a couple of girls in tears, and a couple looking glum, but there were 230 girls there.

Interestingly, 2 years ago there were 280 taking it at Stroud High. Not that I complained.

Sadly I only thought up a good plan after the exam - DD should have had a fake (but very vocal) melt-down after 10 mins of the 2nd paper starting, then having unsettled everyone else, got on with the work... Not that I have a devious mind.
Capers
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

With an admission number of 120...and presuming most girls wishing to attend the High School sat the test at that school, then the odds are quite good then - wouldn't it be 50/50?

Sadly there is no telling whether the girls sat the test at either Pates, Ribston or Denmark Rd instead which distorts the figures somewhat!

I was expecting much higher numbers taking the test this year due mainly to the credit crunch putting parents off from taking the independent route.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Glos_Mum wrote:Oh please remember that some children (those that were poorly) will be taking the test on the 15th - so please don't give specific question details as it would not be fair.
Fair play if you can get question specifics out of your DS .... I found it impossible to glean anything from mine after the event! I think he blanked it all out of his memory!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Burneth wrote:
Fair play if you can get question specifics out of your DS .... I found it impossible to glean anything from mine after the event! I think he blanked it all out of his memory!
Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Dd said similar. First paper okay, same sort of level as Nfer tests- no major shocks. Second paper was hard, with a few things we have looked at but presented in a different way. Think she was disappointed, as I had prepared her for all sorts of distractions - but she said nobody burst into tears, threw a tantrum or threw up! :?

But she said girls at Denmark Road were friendly and staff were nice so overall it wasn't a horrible experience.

So glad that is done - we can eat pasta again and have as many late nights as we please!!
Bring me sunshine ....
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS seemed fairly happy yesterday but experience with his practice tests tells me that we will just have to wait it out :roll:

He guessed the last question on the final paper which means his timings were good :D

I have delibrately not looked to see what date the results are out and am trying very hard to keep it that way as I am assuming a letter gets sent from the authority with all the information we need in time for filling in his CAF form. If he scores well we will visit the two boys Grammar schools in Gloucs with him again but during the day to make a final decision.

In the mean time saying lots and lots of prayers for us and you all :) .
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

My son sat yesterday and really enjoyed himself.

Paper 1 was "easiest he has ever done", 20 minutes to spare to go over 3 unsures and checking of the rest.

Paper 2 was "hardest he has ever done" with only about 4 minutes spare to go over 10 guesses, 4 were 'worked out' so 6 guesses remain!

I couldn't help but notice how well organised & relaxed Pates were and it was nice to see the Head at the front door before and after. From my son's point of view the year 7's were an integral part of his enjoybale morning, so please pass thanks on if you are a parent.

It was funny walking to the school to pick up, whilst passing leaving parents eagerly trying to interrogate their children, I listened in. Comments were sometimes "paper 2 was hard" or "I only guessed 2" but the most common were how many free biscuits they had in the break!

Best of luck.