How did you get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Do the schools just get a score or do they get individual info from each school, as we do? If it is same info as us DS's head is going to question my sanity :oops: or think I am being incredibly optpmistic :!:

DH works with someone whose neice was approached by Pates' head. I can understand his reasoning as under the present system of league tables he needs to keep his school top of the pile or it reflects on his ability to do his job properly.

As Burneth says, very frustrating for those sitting on a waiting list, especially if they live round the corner. Seems strange though to change your mind about which school is appropriate for your child purely on the basis of pressure from a head. I was under the impression that the county allocated the places not the schools so surely those that have already received their first choice school's shouldn't be allocated a place at a school ahead of someone who is waiting to get in there as their first choice:?:
LML69

Post by LML69 »

My DD took the exam at Pates, she said both papers were really easy!!!!! The first paper was the easiest and the 2nd a little harder but still finished with 10 minutes to spare - EEK! She claims to have guessed approx 10 answers in both papers, so not sure how well she'll do, also her teacher told me she had a VR score of 123 and for Pates you would need 130, I'm not holding out much hope for Pates but maybe she'll scrape in Denmark Road. She has not had a tutor or been to Kip Mcgrath. She said quite a few children from her school sat the test (25) and a fair few (in her own words) are not the brightest and are in the bottom sets at school, if thats the case why bother sitting them for the exam, surely the children will be disappointed if they fail? Does anyone know how many (approx) children sit the exams, my DD mentioned over 800 sitting at Pates on Saturday, (not sure where she got that figure from though). I guess now we have to wait .........
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dayn

Post by dayn »

If both papers were really easy, why did she guess 10 questions on each paper?
staycalm

Post by staycalm »

Most people i think found the first test easier than the second. It was strange because i thought that during the test it would be scarier than during the break, but in fact it was the other way around. I didn't expect for there to be those particular question types so i was a bit surprised. Now all that is making me nervous is having to wait for the results. My advice would be to simply think positive and enjoy yourself because worrying isn't going to make anything better.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :D

Above post is by my daughter, who caught me lurking on the forum!
As you can see she's a lot more balanced about this whole thing than her mother :oops:
LML69

Post by LML69 »

Dayn, I have no idea why my DD guessed any answers, I'm not a mind reader unfortunately. She said she was running out of time with 10 minutes to spare !!!!!! I'm new to this forum and I had hoped for some encouragement and constructive advice. BTW she said 10 in both, not each (5 in each paper).
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LML69

Post by LML69 »

Thanks Glosmum, this is my first time with the 11+ and I most certainly was NOT boasting, all I can think of is that DD has read the questions wrong, hence finding it easy and finishing early. I'm quite realistic and would be VERY surprised if she got into any grammar, she is bright but has had no private tutoring or extra lessons. I don't even know if her VR score of 123 is good, bad or indifferent! All I wanted was a bit of advice. Thanks for your kind comments.
LML69

Post by LML69 »

Back again, does anyone know why it's harder to get into The High school for Girls then Ribston as they both ask for the same amount of marks. I rang both schools and they both told me that you need 105 on each paper (or 210 in total) to warrant a pass, I'm confused.com
Quantum-Man

Post by Quantum-Man »

LML69 wrote:Back again, does anyone know why it's harder to get into The High school for Girls then Ribston as they both ask for the same amount of marks. I rang both schools and they both told me that you need 105 on each paper (or 210 in total) to warrant a pass, I'm confused.com
The reason is simply because that score is the minimum acceptable, and the fact that SHS may have more girls applying for it alters [reduces] the chance of an individual getting in. IIRC it's up with Tommy's in the national rankings.

I must say your earlier post did seem to carry a strange paradox, but then again that's children for you.

I didn't much care for your proclamation about who should bother to apply for a place at a grammar school though.
The test isn't definitive, and there are many factors to determine who is best suited to be selected.
It may work in favour for your daughter for the dumbos to apply; as it will shunt her up the bell curve.
I know of at least 2 children whose parents are in my oppinion mistaken in not even entering their children into the test.
I know they are definitely hard working, would be amongst the top performers, and wouldn't need to guess some 12% of the questions. Therefore, perhaps they could get a letter of thanks from you. :wink:

I wouldn't blame any parent trying to get the best for their child, even if they'd given birth to an amoeba...

Sorry everyone for the rant; I usually save the fisty-cuffs for the diesel engine and the epiphyllum fora :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now