CAT scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I agree with Orson, a CAT score of above 110 puts the child in the top 40%. The headmaster at Tommy's, during his open day speech, pointed out that it wasn't a Superselective school but for children in the top 40% academically.

Personally, I feel that should be the criterea for any Grammar school. It is unfortunate that a countrywide shortage of Grammar schools and preveliance of league tables is turning many of them into schools for geniuses or children who skipped the careless gene.

Parents are then made to feel that their above average child may not cope which is a ridiculous senario IMHO.
EmeraldE

More places for more kids

Post by EmeraldE »

Oh yes I agree! In Northern Ireland the top 1/4 of ALL primary kids end up at grammar.

They had the 11+ selection system (which is now gone and been replaced by the dreaded VR I believe)

Futhermore there are 68 grammars in NI..[which is, let's be honest pretty small and sparsely populated] There are 92 grammars therefore in the rest of the UK, so you get some measure of the situation. Hence the competition is not so fierce and more children are able to access a grammar education. With NI having some of the best results at GCSE and A level and a higher percentage of students, than on the mainland, attending University it should be telling someone, something, somewhere!! :)

There is little fuss about getting into grammar and parents just assume the school will prep the kids appropiately for the exam (which they do!! although it has been muted that they will not now be able to tutor VR during school time). It is unfortunate that so many kids have to 'compete' for so few places and no preference is given to in-county children. The politics of the 'two tier' system grammars create can be argued forever, but there will always be a desire for kids to attend selective education. I just wish there were more of them....one can dream! :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

I can second that, my irritation at the in-county thing. Hey, education is paid for out of our council tax, people, yet when you go on tours of Pates, say, you're lucky to rub shoulders within a 30 mile radius of the place . Last time I was shown round, it was with families from Oxford, Bristol and, yes, London. I felt very parochial having driven 5 miles.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now