CAT scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cheltfather

Post by cheltfather »

enter the exam and see what happens - why all the fuss/worry?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

EmeraldE I have PM'd you

GM
EmeraldE

Neurotic CAT hater!

Post by EmeraldE »

Just think it is me listening to much to playground boasting and gossip. I should have more faith in his ability...but I am concerned I have grossly over estimated his ability! I cannot believe that he is doing so well in his school work and his VR papers both with me and his VR tutor (yes I went down that route as I was unsure I was doing it 'right') Surely if he was not capable his VR tutor would have told me?? She is the very honest to the point of bluntness about everything else.

I am not giving up at this stage..just trying to be more realistic now and think that maybe a comp will have to be an option (hubby went to comp and he has great O levels and A's!!)

ARGG!!! :?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Look at the CAT result in detail. You should see a black line that indicates a confidence interval for the measurement. Where the test has few or easy questions the ranges can be quite large.

Would a score at the right hand side of the black line make you happier?
Animis opibusque parati
EmeraldE

CATS: 116 good enough??

Post by EmeraldE »

Oh my!!
This is news to me!
I was only given the score and did not see any paper work..nor did any other parent to the best of my knowledge.
I feel a trip to the teacher coming on just to get a better picture of what's happening. Sheesh!! I feel like I have stumbled half blind into this.

Do they repeat them again in yr 6 by any chance?

Thanks
Hendy

Re: CATS: 116 good enough??

Post by Hendy »

EmeraldE wrote:Oh my!!

Do they repeat them again in yr 6 by any chance?

Thanks
No, the usual schedule for CAT testing is year 5, year 7 & the end of year 9.
capers123

Re: Neurotic CAT hater!

Post by capers123 »

EmeraldE wrote:I cannot believe that he is doing so well in his school work and his VR papers both with me and his VR tutor (yes I went down that route as I was unsure I was doing it 'right') Surely if he was not capable his VR tutor would have told me?? She is the very honest to the point of bluntness about everything else.
Don't forget that whilst many tutors are honest, you do represent a source of income for them. Telling you that your DS was not suitable would represent a considerable loss of income, so they do have a vested interest.

In a similar vein, school teachers often say things like "working very hard" and the like which are not an indicator of ability - trying to get quantitive information out of teachers is like getting blood out of a stone. Sometimes, however, they have no option - SATS for instance they have to give out.

Have you looked at the FAQ's yet? http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b28

What were your sons KS1 SATS, and how about any optional ones he's taken so far? At appeals, we tend to see children who achieved Level 3 in either all KS1 SATS, or maybe one Level 2a (and likewise for KS2 SATS 3 Level 5's or 2 Level 5's and a 4c).

One question - why've you had him tutored for so long? The exam isn't until the Autumn. Most children would start at the earliest in November - 1 year before, and at my DD's school (rural state primary) most started their shared 1 hour lessons at Easter the same year as the exam (and nothing in school holidays), apart from 3 or 4 not being tutored; 14/15 who took the exam passed.

There is no reason, however, not to take the exam.[/url]
Capers
EmeraldE

CATS: 116 good enough??

Post by EmeraldE »

HI there
I have been in another part of the country where they do the 11 plus instead of VR tests. I was therefore thinking that I needed to be gearing DS for VR once I found out I was moving area. That said, I know people who have been tutoring their kids since the age of 7!! When I say I have been tutoring him I have been doing all sorts as well as the VR..mainly because he has had a very disrupted primary education due to the nature of hubbies work. Having attended so many primaries (5 in all!!!) I feel he has been disadvantaged in terms of continuity of education and hence have tried to compensate for that by tutoring him at home perhaps more than the average parent might do.

He has had good SATS at KS 1 (level 3's across the board) and he is predicted Level 5's at KS 2 SATS. I have also remembered he sat the CATS 2 weeks after changing school (and land mass!) and so I have reassured myself that he actually did rather well considering! :o

I may just be a neurotic mum who wants the best for her son (like everyone else:-) and I have decided not to let the result of one 'test' get us down. It is not the be-all-and-end-all. It is onwards and upwards. I have not even discussed it with my DS because I do not want to knock his confidence and I feel it would serve no purpose.

Like everyone else..all will be revealed on the day. I am just keeping fingers crossed and toes and I would even cross my legs too if I thought it might help! LOL :D

Many thanks for the advice and support :0)
LOL....neurotic CAT hater..that's me!!!!!
capers123

Re: CATS: 116 good enough??

Post by capers123 »

EmeraldE wrote:He has had good SATS at KS 1 (level 3's across the board) and he is predicted Level 5's at KS 2 SATS. I have also remembered he sat the CATS 2 weeks after changing school (and land mass!) and so I have reassured myself that he actually did rather well considering!
Sounds fine. He should be OK. Worth making sure you tick all the grammars on the 11+ form to hedge your bets - but most people do anyway.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Which schools are you interested in Emerelde?

We have the added pressure this year of having to try and gain a place at Tommies in order for DS1 and 2 to be in the same school.

Re CATS on the chart it doesn't give a 99th centile. What score would you have to achieve to be in it?