Pate's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mars139

Pate's

Post by mars139 »

Can anyone, who either has children there, or knows of children who go there, allay my fears. My DD, if she goes, will be coming from a relatively low income Guardian reading family!! Would she fit in? Some of the posts on this forum make me worry that she might be out of her league in terms of her peer group.
Any thoughts?
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Guardian reading Pate's parent here!

I think you will find she will fit in perfectly. There is, without a doubt, a big range of parental income at Pate's. I have had 3 children there and in the main they all get on very well.

Obviously there are some that come from the private sector who are pretty well off by most people's standards (my son is friends with one) but the children all get on with each other extremely well, regardless of their 'background' or whatever. Please feel reassured that there is a genuine social and ethnic mix at this school. Much more so than those whose children don't attend would like everyone else to believe.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Dunno about this school specifically but a surefire way not to fit in somewhere is to believe that you can't fit in.
If you think early on that kids will not fit because of their background then they won't.
We can all fit in anywhere (with maybe the odd modification to language / lifestyle / favourite tipple etc etc ) and if you feel you dont fit maybe it is the others there rather than you.
Private schools are interesting - many of the parents are "academically challenged" but have made money somewhere along the line and are not concerned about any feeling of not fitting in, the facility is there and they use it.
Send your kids wherever they want and can get in and get them to start a guardian readers society at lunchtime........
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

Hi my DD has just gone into Year 8 at Pate's, we are from a completely normal background and she loves it. Yes some of her friends are very wealthy but lots are not. there doesn't seem to be any snobbery and most children seem to settle really well. Really glad she went to Pate's and more importantly so is she.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, must echo all the other posters, my 2 DC's settled in well, have fitted in perfectly, all different families all with one aim, to see their children grow,flourish and have fun!

Please don't worry,your DD will be fine. The school is expert at helping them all to settle.
mars139

pate's

Post by mars139 »

Thank you all for those reassuring words. I guess I'm just being a bit paranoid !! But it's nice to know we won't be in a minority. Thanks
gloucsteach

Pate's

Post by gloucsteach »

I know a few people who go to Pate's and only have great things to say. There are(I think) about 200 in the Dof E programme and that is mostly camping in muddy fields at 2.50 per night!! The third years go on tour to Devon for sport. So it can't be that posh!

Seriously, I am a teacher and we moved here from OoC and didn't realise such a brilliant mix of academic excellence with a real tone of moral purpose from the Head and a focus on care andf personal development.

I wish I cd be a pupil there!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Me too, what I wouldn't give to go back in time, to re-live my schooldays there!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now