New (and old) Tommy Rich's parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh am sure e-mail would be fine. the same homework bit is very interesting. I have a couple of friends with children in DS1's class and it is THE only way to get a fuller picture, :? because you're pretty much on our own, certainly cf the hand holding that goes on at our primary.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

So have we all received our bumf for next week?

DS has been put in the same form as his friend. What I didn't realise was the forms = the houses so they get to be in the same house which is rather nice for them.
Milla

Post by Milla »

how did the induction day go for everyone!?
My DS was doing some of the showing round.
"How did it go?! I asked.
"They are SO cocky!" he said. I knew it would be the biter bit.
"that's why you drove the Y8s and 9s mad," I said, "see what it's like?"
I think he'd imagined (much as I as a disillusioned parent did, oh naive fool) that it would be eager younger soul, obediently listening in, keen to learn and pleased to impress. Yeah, right.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS enjoyed as well. His friend was absolutely amazed that his Y7 talk pal commutes from Swindon! That must be quite a trek making their own commute seem small fry.

DS loved the Chemistry, ha ha haven't met those formulas yet then. The head took them for it which was nice. He was dissapointed to be doing French ( :D I am not) as he wanted German? Possibly because we did Normandy and the War this year and he fancied something new. But mainly was into the Warhammer club and feeling it unjust that the chess club can score housepoints but Warhammars can't. Also was chuffed to see one of his Scout's pals and find he is in the same house. Does anyone know if there is some element of design in this, i.e as far as possible do they put those coming up from the South i.e Swindon! and the lower forest in Southgate?

You will have to let us know who gets the Cock house trophy this year then Milla. I see Westgate were on a roll.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Great to see you back Glos-mum.

I was passing by Glos today and took my dad for a look at the school as he hadn't seen it. Ds1 is really looking forward to starting. We signed him up for the science club next week so not long now.

p.s try not to mention labels as lazy mother here who just writes surname on the label :oops: .
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

from the dizzy heights of a mother with a son about to enter Y8 you need (he says)
black / dark blue pen
pencil, rubber, ruler, compass (as in pair of, rather than ESNW type)
protractor, calculator.
water bottle
money for snackerel at breaktime
lunch (lots, the day seems much longer partic if you have a travel like we do - cf 4 minute walk to primary!) or money for lunch
rugby kit and PE kit in case have games/PE first day (Y7 get rugby on Friday, or did when he was there)

Try to keep on top of homework as it comes. It's pretty relentless. My boy was quite lucky with the amount he got but some of the maths teachers hand out LOADS.
Apparently coats are "gay" (hmmm)
He says to make sure their shirt is tucked in (!), tie long (they'll shorten it, but can get told off), don't run in corridors, top button done up, move out of way of teachers striding past.

Moving around between lessons is hard to start with but soon makes sense. They'll be knackered the first term which is LONG and heading into the bleak dark of winter.

The Head of Y7 is a sweetie and the head of junior school is also very easy to talk to on the phone, both are very keen on enhancing the "pastoral" side of things and always respond to a phone message the same day (unless away). They are keen to jump on anything quickly before it becomes a big issue. Y7 is the time when you can still do all this so do listen to what your boys say and don't worry that the school will find you a pain. I had a couple of things I had to bring up (I tried to be measured, let some things go, accepted some things as just "it happens" but there were a couple of incidents I thought merited further attention and couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome so don't let things fester.

They do not spoon fed at Tommy's, it's a huge culture shock, partic when moving from a state school where they might be used to all lessons in one room from one teacher (well, mine was); and they hand out detentions with horrid ease. Mine never got one, well he got a couple of lunch time ones, but friday after school or saturday mornings are the biggies, as far as parents are concerned since it affects pick up.

Anything specific, do ask.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.