re format of papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

re format of papers

Post by Tolstoy »

Also she had to spend time rubbing out pencil dots that were on the Q paper (they were there when the papers were handed out). DD panicked because they had been told "no marks on the Q paper" so she spent time rubbing them out.

I picked up this comment on an old thread. Can someone re-assure me please. I was under the impression that the tests would have a seperate answer book as in the practice papers? My DS does all his workings on the question paper and because of spelling issues needs to be able to write out certain words to check they look correct before marking the answer on the sheet. Surely they can write on the question paper?
Orson

Post by Orson »

No they can't!

They are given rough paper and must use this. That test with pencil marks on it must be a rogue one that slipped through the net.

Orson
staycalm

format of papers

Post by staycalm »

I'm a bit stunned to hear that they can't make any marks on the question paper - my daughter works out many answers on the test papers and I've not known to stop her! Especially codes, letter sequences, etc., and counting along the alphabets.
Is this definitely the case?

Another thing to stress over!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If Orson says so then I would say it is definately the case!

I have been actively encouraging lots of working outs with my son and yes all over the question paper! Soooo glad that I picked up on that comment from last year or DS would have been completely flumoxed. I also believe it will add to his timings which at the mo are v.good but could have been messed up on the day if suddenly having to adjust his technique.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

It is most definitely the case-no marks allowed on the question paper.they are given spare paper to do workings on,my DS practised doing this so it wasn't a shock on the day.

GM
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It is the number/letter series it will add on time for, as I have taught him to put arrows, with the patterns, above and below in the letters. He will now have to write the series out on his scrap paper if it is one that is not immediately obvious, losing valuable time.

But yep he also uses the tip of his pencil to count along the alphabet, isn't that why they put it there :roll: :?: .

I actually think this rule is a complete nonsense how does not writing on the question sheet make your child a more able grammar school student :roll: Surely as long as the answers are clearly marked there should be no problem and I am sure the computers that mark them wouldn't get confused by it :lol: Just another little thing that penalises those children DIY tutored and not proffessionally tutored or those not tutored at all.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

I agree, how stupid!! Why on earth provide the alphabet?? If a child is grammar school standard they will know their alphabet, it is giving with one hand and taking from another! They do not even mark test paper anyway..just the answer sheet. Perhaps they have a 'green' conscience and want to recycle the papers for a small fortune in the shops for the next year. Call me cycnical if you like, sounds like PC gone mad. Perhaps someone could actually EXPLAIN WHY this stupid rule is in operation or is it just another stess to add to kids already under pressure ??
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

I know they do warn the children on the test day not to mark the question papers, but I am unsure whether there would be any penalty if they did write on it...can't see that this would be the case.

There was one poor girl I read about on the forum who wasted a lot of time rubbing out somebody elses pencil marks already on the question paper when she received it, as she was worried she would get the blame, that was not good, however thankfully I believe she still passed!!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thankfully it was back reading and finding that comment that alerted me to it. She did pass.

In some ways I would be even crosser to find they were making a rule and not penalising those for not sticking to it as that would mean there was even less justification for it in the first place.

If a rule is in place enforce it if your not going to don't make up the rule!

Attitude stems from seeing far too many people benifit from breaking rules in regards length of essays and muggins here being penalised for missing stuff out because of rigidly sticking to maximum word allowance :evil:

Time for some cammomile tea I feel, hopefully we haven't run out, think I probably need to stock pile it ready for coming weeks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now