Archer Academy East Finchley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

Archer Academy East Finchley

Post by piggys »

Does anyone have any inside (or even outside) info on this new school? I know it isn't selective but I am interested in researching it. Do any of you know any DC who go there, and if so what do they think? what do their parents think?
piggys

Re: ARCHER ACADEMY EAST FINCHLEY

Post by piggys »

The very fact of its enforced enrichment programme until 5.15 two days a week is sufficient to deter me completely. Once enrichment becomes compulsory it ceases to be very enriching, IMO.
nyr

Re: Archer Academy East Finchley

Post by nyr »

I don't have a child at Archer and my DS will be going to QEB, though the school was on our CAF. I know many children who'll start at the school in September.

Apparently the HT knows everyone's name and greets them as they come into school. Staff seem to be highly motivated.

When the school was being set up, many local parents expressed concern there was too much emphasis on academic progress and the school may not offer extra curricular activities that would be available at established schools. I think, partly to address this apparent imbalance the extended enrichment days were formalised. There seem to be quite a few activities on offer and I'm sure these will change in order to meet the needs and talents of the children.

17 children from DC's primary went to Archer in September 2013 and many more will move there in September 2014. As part of a recruitment drive, some of the Y7 came back to the primary and told the Y6 children they were having a wonderful time. One recounted how he was level 5 maths in the primary and level 7c after about 18 weeks at Archer. This sounds very impressive. The primary is outstanding and most children are privately tutored for the 11+, so the level 5 was probably a good measure of his general maths and being a bit cynical, I wonder if, in a bid to demonstrate academic excellence, the teaching is too focused on assessment. Again, it's still early days and I'm sure things will settle down.

Parents from DC's primary strive to provide a top notch education for their children and most children try for grammar, partially selective and faith schools. In the past the independents were a safety net if they didn't get their first choice. Now Archers is the safety net and in many cases the first choice.

nyr
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks nyr, some interesting insight there. The rather obsessive focus on assessment is common, it seems, in new academies (although all schools are target driven in today's educational culture). I wonder how that will square with the school's pastoral approach. I know many children whose parents have withdrawn them from the Wren Academy in N Finchley because of what they perceive to be the school's willingness to sacrifice pastoral care and student wellbeing at the altar of results, results, results.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

This thread is very interesting, thank you for starting it Piggys. I was wondering about Archer myself for my CAF next year, although we lie just outside its priority catchment postcodes, it's a very easy bus ride from our house.

I have actually emailed them to ask if anyone was offered a place this year from outside their priority area. I know they went outside it in 2013 but got the impression that didn't happen for Sept 2014. I've not had a reply yet, presumably because it's the holidays. If I hear anything useful back I'll post it on here.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Hi lemondrop; there are so many new schools in Barnet now - the Archer, the new Greek Ortho school on Oakleigh Road, Jcoss......I'm guessing you are in Haringey.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Yup, Haringey it is. We're right on the border of Barnet and Enfield. Both DCs in Enfield Schools at the mo. We are a comfortable commute to Latymer and QEB (and HBS but no longer relevant as only DS to go for secondary). Can't do DAO despite straightforward journey as in wrong bit of postcode. Just inside APS catchment, we were always comfortably so, now on the border, so want some more safe back ups to go on CAF just in case catchment shrinks again next year. I suspect we're out of the range for Archer now, but would certainly consider if it we have a realistic chance.

Wren, Greek School and Jcoss not options due to non-religiousness.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

I was living in the Archer area during the time it was first mooted and set-up - an incredible achievement by any accounts, HOWEVER, it was first supposed to be all encompassing, non-selective, etc, etc - with an ethos to bring out the best in every child (memories of 1960s comprehensive education!) and to fill a huge gap in secondary education, particularly for girls, in the N2 area. But just like 1960s comprehensive education, theory is not always translated into practice, particularly when the school is perched on the borders of several middle to upper-middle class areas with parents looking for high academic achievement. If you are looking for what is bound to become a very good school with great results, then it is worth a shot, but if your child is average or below, they may end up a fish out of water.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I live in the Archer priority area, I know DC and Parents of year 7s and year 6s who will go in September. First offers on March 3rd this year did not even get to the edge of the priority area and many were disappointed, although of course it will move. All kids and parents rave about it. Yes it is good at bringing on its bright cohort but pastoral is excellent and each child's individual needs are considered. We put Fortismere above Archer purely because it's tried and tested and will be closer when the Archer moves to its permanent home at Stanley Fields.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Thanks fairyelephant, that's what I suspected about offers. I guess it's not realistic for us then.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now