HBS waiting list

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GGDad

Re: HBS waiting list

Post by GGDad »

I got confirmation this morning from HBS that the intake and thus the number of offered places this year has since been increased to 100 (from 93). There will be 4 forms of 25 each - a class size in line with the very large number of independent schools. Thought this is useful for anyone trying to decide between HBS and Independents.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

GGDad wrote:I got confirmation this morning from HBS that the intake and thus the number of offered places this year has since been increased to 100 (from 93). There will be 4 forms of 25 each - a class size in line with the very large number of independent schools. Thought this is useful for anyone trying to decide between HBS and Independents.
A few random thoughts from an outside observer...

- I hope that there aren't too many people for whom class size was the deal-breaker when deciding whether to go with their free-but-31-in-a-class HBS place or small-classes-but-£15000-a-year indie option :shock:
- does this mean that the next 7 girls on the waiting list will have got their HBS offers forthwith, as the school has previously confirmed that waiting list rankings were 'rank given minus 93'?
- unfortunately for those still hoping for a place, the effect may be that those still hanging on to their HBS place and an indie place will now give up the indie rather than HBS :(
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rollercoasterrider

Post by rollercoasterrider »

Thanks GGDad

Was the confirmation in writing? I had verbal confirmation from HBS that it was 100 places this year but then the Admissions office said it was 93...(but that was several weeks ago)
GGDad

Post by GGDad »

Yes it was. Suspect they have offered 7 more places since the National Offer day which has part contributed to the movement in waiting list
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

When I rang them last week for an update regarding my DD's waiting list, they asked me to contact them by email as they cant help over the phone and when I emailed them, The response I got was

"Thank you for your email. We will post the scores to you within 40 days of this emails.

Best wishes,
Admissions Office"
CrouchEndMum

Post by CrouchEndMum »

I think it is a terrible shame that such an extraordinary school is being poorly represented by a chaotic admissions process for those on the waiting list.

I have written to the school to give them some feedback about this. Whilst we found the process at all points up until Offer Day very pleasant and well-organised and impressive, we found it flawed in a number of ways since then.

The extreme difficulty of making contact with anyone either by telephone or e-mail is one of those flaws and I really feel for all the parents still on the waiting list who are having difficulty understanding their position.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS are putting a lot of focus and energy into wooing parents from the private sector. They have moved their English and Maths exams away from the other state selectives in September to fit in with the private schools in January. This in itself is a risky strategy as students who get confirmation in October that their mark is high enough for a place at Latymer and/or DAO may well decide to put these schools first and not wait to hear about HBS months later. If they have decided to chase the private school parent in preference to the state school parent they will not do well in this if their public face continues to be so poor. They would do better to redirect some of that energy into improving their communications. I don't know any selective school that refuses to take phone calls about the process. Surely it is worth hiring admin staff to do this? DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I don't want to say too much on a public forum but I have heard this: there have been some staffing issues at the school. I think the admissions officer left a while ago and her colleague was put into another department. Apparently the new admissions officer is not coping well with her role which explains all the problems this year. However this is all vague hearsay, I don't know if any existing HBS parents know any more?

Hopefully it is just a blip and they will improve things for next year. Doesn't help all those people still waiting though.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

GGDad wrote:I got confirmation this morning from HBS that the intake and thus the number of offered places this year has since been increased to 100 (from 93). There will be 4 forms of 25 each - a class size in line with the very large number of independent schools. Thought this is useful for anyone trying to decide between HBS and Independents.
Just a quick aside.

this doesn't really mean all lessons will be taught in smaller classes, as a lot of lessons were previously taught in point groups.
Although they had 3 classes of 31, the 93 was also divided into 4 point groups of 23 & 24 in which a lot of lessons were taught... so in these cases class sizes will be getting a tiny bit bigger!
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

My DD has been offered a place at HBS!! just received a confirmation by post :o

I was so very confused by the admin staff's response to my queries and had almost decided that HBS is not going to come through and having accepted the offer from West Cliff Girls Grammar my DD was looking forward to join West Cliff and got upset when I told her that HBS has come through!!

We too were looking to move closer to Westcliff so that she can enjoy her time at school, now its all changed, have to start searching for renting options with a short commute to HBS probably closer to Northern line so that she can get there by public transport.

Now I have to convince and coax her into accepting HBS offer and I hope that we as parents are doing the right thing for her. What a roller coaster ride it has been till here!