HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rosies Mum

HBS

Post by Rosies Mum »

Hello

I'm new to this forum, but would greatly appreciate any tips. My daughter is about to start Year 5 in September, and reasonably bright. I would like to help her get into HBS but don't know where to start! :-(

I've started her on Bond books this week (40 mins in the morning and 40 mins in the afternoon - don't want to overloand her, need to let her enjoy the summer etc), but know that I need her to get a very good grasp of VR & English & Maths. What is Numerical Reasoning? The website does not have any sample papers of this, although it says it will.

Thank you.

RM
IronMikeTyson

Re: HBS

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Well it's a good start. Ask yourself what will she need to know when she sits the exam in Year 6 and determine how you will get there .
The schools are only allowed to test to the National Curriculum.So for maths I would figure out what could be tested and start from there covering the topics and mastering the basics before attempting problem solving.

I would encourage lots of reading,including newspapers and magazines and sitting down with your dd to evaluate her understanding of what has been read.

Include essay writing and short stories and comprehension in your teaching material.

There is a lot of information out there-get hold of Maths and English papers of selective schools who publish examples on line to get a flavour of the standard out there. HBS did CEM style questions in the past but check their website on the exam content.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And here?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ld-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Rosies Mum

Post by Rosies Mum »

Thank you to both IronMikeTyson and scary mum. I appreciate you taking time to respond. I look forward to making good friends on this forum as we share our experiences on this 11plus journey.
RM