practise non-NFER style Athey NVR for QE & Mill Hill or

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
londonmum35

practise non-NFER style Athey NVR for QE & Mill Hill or

Post by londonmum35 »

We are practising using only the relevant NFER style sections of the Athey non-verbal reasoning for Latymer. From information on this forum it seems NFER also set QE Boys and Mill Hill. If this is true, am I safe to stop my son practising the other sections of the Athey for these two schools? Friends tell me to keep going with them all, but with time so short now want to concentrate on the right areas.

Also can I stick to Athey and NFER verbal reasoning for these school and Dame Alice Owen, or buy Bright Sparks/Tutors aswell? Got confused by the advice on the forums.

We are also trying a few privates: Habs, City and Highgate, any advice on their reasoning tests?

Would be grateful for any advice!
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

hi,

I think there is so little material for nvr that you can practice with nfer, athey and bond.

For vr, there is so much material, particularly with athey, but also nfer and bond, that you dont need to use anything else. I dont know anything about bright sparks or whether that is worthwhile. Perhaps someone else can help.

We never even got through all the athey vr material though with my dd.
PT_help

Re: practise non-NFER style Athey NVR for QE & Mill Hill

Post by PT_help »

londonmum35 wrote:We are practising using only the relevant NFER style sections of the Athey non-verbal reasoning for Latymer. From information on this forum it seems NFER also set QE Boys and Mill Hill. If this is true, am I safe to stop my son practising the other sections of the Athey for these two schools? Friends tell me to keep going with them all, but with time so short now want to concentrate on the right areas.

Also can I stick to Athey and NFER verbal reasoning for these school and Dame Alice Owen, or buy Bright Sparks/Tutors aswell? Got confused by the advice on the forums.

We are also trying a few privates: Habs, City and Highgate, any advice on their reasoning tests?

Hi I only know about QE
VR : Tutors papers & CD ( from this site)
NVR : e-papers (Eleven plus papers from this site) & NVR CD

After that NFER papers - good luck :)
nat

Post by nat »

My first post...
We ve just got the whole set of Bond. Our son is going to try for QE Boys. I now discovered so many people mention NFER. What is the difference? Is Bond not suitable to practice for QEB exams? Thanks[/quote]
vp

Re: practise non-NFER style Athey NVR for QE & Mill Hill

Post by vp »

PT_help wrote:
londonmum35 wrote:We are practising using only the relevant NFER style sections of the Athey non-verbal reasoning for Latymer. From information on this forum it seems NFER also set QE Boys and Mill Hill. If this is true, am I safe to stop my son practising the other sections of the Athey for these two schools? Friends tell me to keep going with them all, but with time so short now want to concentrate on the right areas.

Hi I only know about QE
VR : Tutors papers & CD ( from this site)
NVR : e-papers (Eleven plus papers from this site) & NVR CD

After that NFER papers - good luck :)

Hi, I am new to this forum. I would also like my boy to try QE. There are so many publishers available in the 11+ market which can be really confusing.

One question I have now is you mentioned NFER papers, are these the same as NFER Nelson which is equivalent to Letts?
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

My DS sat for 11+ last year, he did NFER, Athey NVR Bright Sparks and NFER VR. He also sat various indies incl Habs and MT and they seemed to be ok as he was offered places in all the schools.

We did use Bond but only in the beginning as some of the question types in Bond papers do not appear in the NFER / the Indie VR tests.

HTH
vp

Post by vp »

coolmum123 wrote:Hi,

My DS sat for 11+ last year, he did NFER, Athey NVR Bright Sparks and NFER VR. He also sat various indies incl Habs and MT and they seemed to be ok as he was offered places in all the schools.

We did use Bond but only in the beginning as some of the question types in Bond papers do not appear in the NFER / the Indie VR tests.

HTH
Can you please shed some light if NFER is equivalent to NFER Nelson or Letts?

Many thanks
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Hi,

I bought my NFER non-verbal from the bookshop on this website, and on here it says:

'NOTE: Granada Learning (GL-Assessment a.k.a. Letts) has bought out NFER Nelson. New packaging no longer has ‘NFER Nelson’ on it, however the content is still identical.'

So it seems it's all the same thing - NFER/Letts/GL.

Hope that helps!
vp

Post by vp »

Thank you Londonmum35, your reply is most helpful.