Anyone been awarded extra time for SW Herts consortium tests?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Anyone been awarded extra time for SW Herts consortium tests?

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Would please appreciate some input on this one ;-)

I applied for extra time (with backing from the SENCO at DC's school), and have received confirmation of date and time for DC's exams, but there is no mention of whether extra time has been granted or not.

My questions are therefore:

1. Is there anyone else who has applied for extra time?

2. If so, do you know if your DC has been awarded extra time?

3. If so, how did you find out?

4. Or, are you still waiting to find out too?

Getting worried, as with only a few days to go until the exams, I have not been able to get hold of Admissions, and I don't know what the procedure is, so would be really grateful for anyone else's feedback.

Thanks.
Knowledge is power

watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

I suggest that you contact the admissions secretary at the school your child is sitting the test at. They will be able to confirm if your child has extra time.
If your child does not then you need to speak to HCC admissions.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

There's a thread about me asking for extra time for my DS. He had a fractured finger/hand. I was having problems getting letter from the doctor as medical evidence.

DS was with me ( arm in a sling) when we dropped off the form at Queens. I put a note in with the form saying he had broken his hand the day before and would supply a letter from the doctor, which I never did.

DS is sitting the test at Queens and on friday we got a letter saying my DS would be given either extra time / rest breaks.

Both admisssions sectratary and SENCO at Queens are really nice very helpful. Have spoken to the SENCO and refused the extra time as DS is now OK.

Hope you manage to get things sorted.

Ally
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

Hi, we applied for extra time for our dyslexic daughter, but too, recieved the standard letter saying where and when the test was held,but nothing about extra time. We rang the school where she is sitting the test and they said that she has the extra time and a reader, so should just turn up as specified on the day, and they will take her to a seperate room for the test.
kesi68
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Hi Watfordmum66, Ally, Kesi68

Thank you all so much for replying to my post ... it is truely appreciated.

Upon your kind advice, I have rung the school, and have now found out that my DC has thankfully been granted extra time for the VR and Maths.

So, thank you to all of you for your assistance.

However, my DC has been turned down for extra time for the NVR paper : a fact which is confusing me. They state that my DC does not need extra time, as reading is not involved.

Just wondering now, how and on what grounds, to challenge this decision ?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Knowledge is power

watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,
am pleased that you know that your child has the additional time needed.
re the NVR is this the Bushey Meads test ?
If so this is the schools own test and seperate to the SW Consortium schools test so they may have different guidelines.

My child did not take this so unsure of the content and if any reading is needed.
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Hi Watfordmum

Thanks !

Yes, it is the BM test, but what makes it confusing is, the school states that no extra time has been allowed as there is no reading involved, but, from the example test paper sent to us, there is a little reading involved.

But, in any case, the SENCO from my DC's school wrote a supporting letter asking for extra time due to DC's "disabilities" (but did not specify anything about my DC having difficulties with reading).

I'm wondering therefore how to appeal on this decision, especially as I am running out of time :roll:
Knowledge is power

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just wondering now, how and on what grounds, to challenge this decision ?
I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer for the consortium, but what tends to happen elsewhere is that you can't do much about such a decision before the test.

However, if you are unsuccessful in getting a place, it's an issue that can be raised at an independent appeal.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now