abstract question about continuing interest lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

abstract question about continuing interest lists

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Just thought about something and wondered if anyone can shed some light on this please :?:

If a parent lists School A, School B, School C and then on allocation day does not get offered a place at either School A, B or C can a parent go on the Continuing Interest for ANY OTHER school (NOT originally listed as a preference school?)

If so, how many schools' continuing interest lists can a child be placed on?

Hope that makes sense : don't think I am the world's best at explaining myself .... lol.
Knowledge is power

Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

I initially thought you could only go on CI lists for schools higher than the one you were allocated but have since been told that you can apply to go on the list for any of those schools. I also read on this forum about someone who was not happy with the allocated school and applied to lots of other schools too that weren't on that list but I'm not sure how that works in terms of formfilling, etc.

In theory, and this is my opinion only, there would not be a limit on numbers as you would be individually writing to each school and no central log kept?? Please correct me anyone if Im wrong...

The Admissions Book for the area should confirm what I've said in the first paragraph.
Charl39
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.hertsdirect.org/scholearn/ad ... /unhapsec/
For Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools
  • Children will automatically be placed on the continuing interest (CI) list for any unmet higher preferences e.g. if you are offered your third ranked preference you will be placed on the continuing interest list for the community or voluntary controlled schools you ranked first and second.
  • If you do not wish to remain on the continuing interest lists for these schools you MUST let us know immediately. This is because if a place becomes available and your child is the highest on the list the place will be offered and your original offered place will automatically be withdrawn. If you decide that you are happy with the school that has been offered to you and no longer wish to pursue a place at your original higher preferences you MUST let the local admissions and transport team know straight away, otherwise you risk losing the original school offered.
  • The first continuing interest run will take place week commencing 22 March 2010. If you are successful in gaining a place you will be written to with the new offer within a few days. Please do not call the team for the outcome as no offer information will be given by telephone.
  • If you wish to change your preferred schools and make a late application you can register a continuing interest application online from 29 March 2010. Your child will then be included on the next run of the continuing interest process which will run week commencing 26 April 2010.
  • After this date no further continuing interest runs will take place and those pupils still on continuing interest will be transferred to individual continuing interest lists for each school and places will be allocated as and when vacancies occur (the continuing interest list will be held in admission rule order).
Etienne
greenteadrinker

Post by greenteadrinker »

Last year I was given a community school that i was not happy with...I went on the CI list for the three schools that i origianlly applied for plus all other schools within the area that i would have been happy for my child to attend...Which was most of them given the school we were allocated :(

Unfortunatly, as yet, we have not gained a place at any of the schools that we are on the CI list for, but I am forver hopeful!! :)
Always look on the bright side of life
naxa

Post by naxa »

The information on how CI lists work is interesting. Would appreciate views on this scenario:

School A and School B are ranked 1st and 2nd accordingly. Our child passes the tests for both and would have received offers for both but, of course, is offered first preference, School A, on March 1st.

We change our minds about the school we prefer, so later in March we ask to go on the CI list for school B. As our child would have originally been offered a place at school B, would she go to the top of the CI list????
WP

Post by WP »

naxa wrote:The information on how CI lists work is interesting. Would appreciate views on this scenario:

School A and School B are ranked 1st and 2nd accordingly. Our child passes the tests for both and would have received offers for both but, of course, is offered first preference, School A, on March 1st.

We change our minds about the school we prefer, so later in March we ask to go on the CI list for school B. As our child would have originally been offered a place at school B, would she go to the top of the CI list????
I expect that if the school accepted her onto their CI list she would go to the top, as CI lists are supposed to be operated under the same criteria as the original allocation process. As for whether they'd accept her onto their CI list when you've already effectively refused an offer from them, that depends on the school, as each of these VA and foundation schools operates their own CI list. You'd have to check with the school, but some of them would. Indeed some schools have been criticized in the past for writing to such children inviting them to join the CI list.
Wanner

WGSB

Post by Wanner »

I asked about CI lists at WGSB when visiting in September - the head replied that their system was very simple. If a child offered a place delines the offered place, the newly available place will be offered to someone on the CI list who meets the same criteria as the no-longer-interested child. So if a child offered a place on the distance criteria declines the place, then the available place will be offered to someone next in line on the CI list under the distance criteria. In effect, there is one CI list but a number of 'types' of places available might be released. Your DC might be next in line for an academic place, but if the place going is a distance rule place then you won't be offered it. Or that's how I understood it, anyway. And as WP says, other schools may have their own rules for administering CI lists. HTH...
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

That's really interesting. I guess if they have to fill the places with a certain number of academic children and a certain number on distance, this would make perfect sense. I've never heard that before though so thanks for posting it.
Charl39
WP

Post by WP »

They have to do it that way, as they're required to allocate CI places by the same rules they used for the original allocation. So the same child could have different positions on lists under the distance, academic and music criteria for the same school.