scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

highgatemom

scholarships

Post by highgatemom »

Hello everyone -- I would be very grateful for some feedback regarding the interview stage on the subject of academic scholarships and bursaries. Our daughter has been invited to interviews at the independent schools that she sat for. My question is, would it be a good idea at this stage to signal to the school heads that we will be scraping through when it comes to paying the fees? If they like the child, would receiving this kind of info from parents make them more likely to consider/offer academic scholarship or bursaries? Or best not to mention this in case it makes them worry about our fee-paying capability and withold any offer? Does it make any difference at all? Your views would be most appreciated if anyone has any experience in this area...Many thanks in advance.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Unsure really.
In my experience, two years ago and currently, each school needed to know in advance whether we would need financial assistance. They also needed to know if we would consider a place if they could not offer assistance. Did you answer any questions like this? And have you filled out a bursary form so they can see how much you could afford to pay?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Only my 2p worth...

I think you should tell them and fill out the bursary forms. I think the default action if you do not mention it would be to assume you can pay; many parents will be scraping through only the needy will get financial assistance.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would agree, I imagine that unless you are upfront with the school, they will assume you can pay.....also just my thoughts
naxa

Post by naxa »

If by "scraping through" you mean that things will be tight but by you can scrimp and save to pay the fees, then stay quiet and wait until you have an offer.
If your joint income is around the bursary level, which I think is around the 30k level in london schools, then you could mention it.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Absolutely agree with S.L.V. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK! I made the chance decision to phone the Registry of a school whose fees are just about stratospheric. I received the most incredible encouragement and support. It was made very plain to me that if dd made the grade academically then money/no money would not be a serious hurdle. I have been to some pretty stuffy (as a guest) Indies but this one has been down to earth and straight all the way. Other parents came up to us on the scholarship day and gave us tremendous support. Even the great man himself came to give us quiet reassurance and encouragement .Go for it!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Agree with above. Many independents are keen to get good quality entrants who could not attend except via scholarships and bursaries. Ability to pay may impact whether your child can actually attend the school but no decent independent would include ability to pay in their considerations in making an offer.
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

I was under the impression that you need to apply for a scholarship/bursary before an offer of a place. Otherwise those places could be offered to other children and your child will only receive an offer based on you being able to pay full fees.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Although it no doubt depends on the school, I'm sure the schools we looked at last year expected scholarship/bursary forms to be completed and sent with the initial application apart from one which picked out potential academic scholarship candidates after the entrance exam.

I'd certainly get in touch with them as soon as possible to explain your situation.

Good luck.
delta

Post by delta »

I think schools use academic scholarships to encourage the children they really want to come to the school to choose them as they'll be aware very able children will be getting multiple offers. Bursaries are a different matter and all the schools I've had contact with all wanted bursary forms completed in advance of the tests. So, I would keep quiet at this stage unless you're sure your dd is very able in which case you might want to drop hints about having lots of choice!