St Helen's, Heathfield & Northwood College

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Feeley

St Helen's, Heathfield & Northwood College

Post by Feeley »

Does anyone have any experience of the following 3 schools ?

St Helen's (in Northwood)
Heathfield (in Pinner)
Northwood College (in Northwood)

These are all very close to each other and are equi-distance in terms of DD's local commute.

Looking at past results, St Helen's seems to be the most academic of the 3, and possibly Northwood College the least academic (but still with ok results).

Does anyone have any experience of any of these 3 schools - happy children ? happy parents ? or otherwise ?
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Are you talking about Heathfield School in Pinner?

If so, I went there (many moons ago ... lol).
Knowledge is power

Feeley

Post by Feeley »

Yes - in Pinner
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi again Feeley

Ahhhh it is the same school, although when I first started there it was based in Harrow, and then moved to Pinner, part way through my schooling.

My personal experience there was not very positive HOWEVER, that's only me !!!

That's not to say that many other parents and pupils have very positive views of it : so PLEASE don't let my negativity put you off.

I moved on to college after Heathfield and just felt a lot more comfortable (and consequently performed better) at college.

Are you on facebook?

There is a Heathfield group on facebook : perhaps you could join it, and put some questions forward on there and/or read what other people have written. It may give you a bit of an insight into what the current and past pupils feel .... just an idea.

Best of luck :-)
Knowledge is power

JP

Post by JP »

Feelely

I see you have not received many replies to your question so I will let you know what I know which is not much. My daughter did the exams for St Helens and Northwood College last year but ended up going to Watford Grammar. In addition my son's headmaster's daughter has just left St Helens plus my daughter's god mother went there (albeit it a long time ago)

My impression is that St Helens is very academically focused and will push the girls to get good results - more so than Northwood College. In addition they do seem to produce very well rounded girls and, although, the emphasis seems to be on academic achievement they do find time to develop the girls in other ways. My OH was very impressed with the headmistress, who he chatted to whilst my DS had her interview. Since my OH is generally anti independant schools this was quite something. My daughter was far less keen on Northwood College despite them putting far more effort into the recruitment process and in addition my OH was not given the chance to speak to the head at the interview. Saying that Northwood College is a smaller school which may suit some children better. Heathfield I know little about apart from one of my daughters friends had an offer but was desperate not to go there, saying that the daughter of someone I swim with loves it. I believe it is a bit less academic.

To my mind, if my daughter had not got into the Grammar school I would have been very happy with her going to St Helens plus they play lacrosse.
Feeley

Post by Feeley »

JP
Feeley

Post by Feeley »

JP wrote:Feelely

I see you have not received many replies to your question..........
No unfortunately not many replies as yet.......anyone have any view about these schools ? Any info gratefully received.
PP2D

Northwood College

Post by PP2D »

My DD is currently in year 6 at NC. She has been going there since year 2.
We like the school. Irrespective of whether it is academically pushy or not, we find that our DD has definitely a higher academic standard than some of our friends' children who go to the local schools.
In addition, my DD has developed interests in varied subjects; and I feel she is definitely well-rounded ( I would say that wouldn't I :D ).

Cannot comment about the other schools, but NC is definitely a good school.
--