Non Ranked Allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lynmill

Non Ranked Allocation

Post by lynmill »

My Daughter got offered a NON ranked allocation this March. Of course we are devasted and now have the horrible and anxious process of CI and appeals.

Our chosen schools were queens, bushey meads and watford girls. Her standardised score was 204 without actioning a non verbal reasoning test.

I am gaining references from her teacher, her after school club and our local church.

I feel totally lost and any support or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks again :?
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

Sorry to hear this :( I can't offer any useful advice, only wish you luck. Would you mind saying which school you've been offered?
stardreamer

Post by stardreamer »

Hello and welcome lynmill,
This forum is a great source of information and I am sure you will find support here. You must be in a terrible place at the moment, I am sure that things will get better.
How are you doing on the CI lists?? Have you any glimmers of hope??
The appeals section may be a good place to post as there will be members in similar positions.
How is your dd?? I know it is difficult but try and remain positive for her.
I am sure that a member will be along soon to offer some great advice.
Good luck,
xx
lynmill

Post by lynmill »

Thank you for replying so quickly. My DD was offered Westfield. This is nearly 3 miles away from our home!

We are approx 81 on CI for Queens and 22nd Band B for Bushey Meads - unsure for Girls as to whether to even try!!

Thank you for mentioning appeals section - i'll do that now!! :wink:

My DD is pretty upset - but for usual reasons such as friends etc. I will stay positive for her however its very hard at such a testing time.
WP

Re: Non Ranked Allocation

Post by WP »

lynmill wrote:My Daughter got offered a NON ranked allocation this March. Of course we are devasted and now have the horrible and anxious process of CI and appeals.

Our chosen schools were queens, bushey meads and watford girls. Her standardised score was 204 without actioning a non verbal reasoning test.
Sorry to hear your news, but there's usually a lot of movement on the CI lists. A score of 204 puts her in band B for Bushey Meads, and there's usually a fair bit of movement of the waiting list for that band. Band A has already gone out over 17km, so I guess they probably took just about everyone there. Many people put Bushey Meads as a lower preference than the partially selective schools, so when those waiting lists start to move there will be a knock-on effect on the band B waiting list. Band B currently goes out 2652m, but should move out more over the next few months. Are you much further out?
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

From the information you have given the continued interest (CI) route is likely to be the most productive. From your 3 choices the best chance of a CI place looks like being at Bushey Meads.

A score of 204 would place you daughter in Band B at Bushey Meads. Bushey Meads allocates places within each band based on distance from the school. The furthest distance alocated a place from Band B in March was 2652 metres. If you contact the school they will be able to place you on the CI list and let you know your position on the list. You will know how far away from the school you are so this will also give you an indication of how likely an offer of a CI place will be.

Consider other schools that you didn't put on your CAF. You can join the CI list of any other schools you are eligable to apply for. Depending on where you live you might like to consider schools in St Albans like St Albans Girls (all girls) or faith schools like Townsend.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,

I suggest you speak to admissions later this week for both Queens and Bushey Meads as you may find your position has changed remember this can be in your favour or not as other children may have been put on CI lists with a higher score than your child.

For Bushey Meads my understanding is that there is a lot of movement ( although not as much last year ) and Im sure the admissions lady will be able to tell you what the probability is.

I would also go and have a look around Westfield What were your concerns as the school may be able to reassure you.

Wishing you all the best.
Daogroupie

Waiting Lists

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry to hear your news. Do a search on posts from raceytracey for inspiration from a watford poster who did not get her choice but now has a a daughter really happy with the school she was allocated. As you sat the watford exam you can now go on the academic waiting lists of all the schools who do the exam. That is really worth doing as you have nothing to lose and if you get offered a place you can go and see the school and decide then if you like it. Best Wishes and hope you get sorted soon.
WP

Post by WP »

As mushroom and I said above, I think there's an excellent chance that the Bushey Meads CI list will work for you. But it's also extremely important that you accept the place offered as insurance just in case.
ttmum

Non Ranked Allocation

Post by ttmum »

I would advise you apply to be on the CI list of many schools. My dd was allocated a non ranked school last march for the 2009/2010 entry. When I applied to BM to be on the CI list she was placed at No 4 and eventually got to No 1 back in August 2009, till date she is still at No 1.
With Queens, she has moved so many times on the CI list but I am still hopeful, we were at No 4 in August 2009, then went to No 6, then back to 4, then 3 as at Jan 2010 and now at no 9. I am hopeful though. There is a lot of movement and who knows, you child may be offered a place on one of these lists.

Westfield is not a bad school though!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now