Herts CAF forms for 2011 entry available online

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tense

Herts CAF forms for 2011 entry available online

Post by tense »

I've just started filling in the CAF form for 2011 entry - at least, I hope I've saved the information I put in! Seems very straightforward.

I'm applying for a sibling place, so am not sure whether to put a second & third choice. I suppose I should - might be a bumper sibling year ! :D
WP

Re: Herts CAF forms for 2011 entry available online

Post by WP »

tense wrote:I'm applying for a sibling place, so am not sure whether to put a second & third choice. I suppose I should - might be a bumper sibling year ! :D
I think they cut music places before silbings -- they did that in 2005 and 2007, but it never hurts to play safe.
Daogroupie

Cutting Music Places for Siblings in a bumper sibling year.

Post by Daogroupie »

WP! Do talk us through this shocking statement. Was it just Parimiters who did this or has it been done before at other schools and is it in the small print somewhere?

Tense, I will be applying for sibling this year though I had to wait until friday before I could fill the form in as elder dd only started then. We will be putting the same second and third choices as last year but DAO always has a few extra to give to distance, 5 this year so I guess those are there as a padding for extra siblings year. My dd has two sets of twins in her class so I guess the multiple birth policy is bumping up the sibling numbers. DG
tense

Re: Herts CAF forms for 2011 entry available online

Post by tense »

Unfortunately I can't recycle my second & third preferences from last time - they were both girls' schools & this one's a boy!
WP

Re: Cutting Music Places for Siblings in a bumper sibling ye

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:WP! Do talk us through this shocking statement. Was it just Parmiters who did this or has it been done before at other schools and is it in the small print somewhere?
Since you ask ... It's implied by the way they rank their criteria: LAC, 10% closest, siblings, medical, academic, music, distance. Usually they have 18 music places, and run out of places in the last criterion, but in rare years with a lot of siblings they can run out earlier in the list; in 2005 they had only 7 music places.

When the Watford Grammars had a cross-sibling criterion, it was ranked second-last before distance, and often not all of those siblings got in, but the number of test places was unaffected. Since that was abolished, they always get into the second distance criterion.

In the DAO criteria, the priority order is LAC, closest (22), siblings, music (10), academic (65), closest in priority area, others. So if they had more than 103 SEN, LAC and siblings it would be at the expense of academic places. The numbers of such places for 2004-10 have been 105, 107, 100, 98, 96, 98 and 97, but the larger numbers were before they introduced the extra 22 distance places, so this squeeze has not (yet) occurred.

PS: In 2009 Rickmansworth had 104 siblings, and gave up 3 academic places to fit them all in.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now