Secondary grammar school preferential order

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mohamed

Secondary grammar school preferential order

Post by Mohamed »

Hello,

Although I'd like my DS to enter QE boys, I'm worried he may not pass 11 + exams. However, there is another good community school, very close to my area and I'd like to put that as 1st choice and QE as second choice.

Does preferential order matter for grammer schools?

Some say that applications will be considered in order of preference? very confusing.
WP

Re: Secondary grammar school preferential order

Post by WP »

It is vital that you list the schools in the order that you prefer them. Putting a school first does not increase your chances at that school, because the schools aren't told where you placed them on the form. The only time the preference order is used is if more than one school can offer you a place: the council will give you the one you said you preferred.

In your case, if you put the local school first and QE second and if both of them can offer you a place (the comp because you're close and QE because of a high score), then you will be offered the local school you said you preferred, no matter how highly you son scores on the QE test, and the place QE would have been prepared to offer you will go to someone with a lower score.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now