Parmiter's 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
watmum

Parmiter's 2011

Post by watmum »

Just curious to know the situation this year for all the parmiter's applicants. Has there been much success for the not sibling applicants? I know that in recent years there has not been much joy at the local schools in the area and I wondered whether this years applicants had faired any better
Cruyff_Turn

Re: Parmiter's 2011

Post by Cruyff_Turn »

We live locally & our DS managed to get Parmiter's via the academic route - enormously proud of him!

Also looks like the change in the way distance is now measured (to as the crow flies) & possibly lower sibling numbers has meant more children from Abbots Langley have got in in this year :)
ttmum

Post by ttmum »

We live locally & our DS managed to get Parmiter's via the academic route -

....At this stage, how do you find out what route your child gets into a school.(academic, sports, music, etc)
Does your letter actually state the criteria?

Reason I ask, is that I only got a letter from Herts County stating the school my dd was accepting but without stating a reason. I also got two rejections letters from the two other choices, but none from the school she was allocated which was one of our choices.
Cruyff_Turn

Post by Cruyff_Turn »

We received a letter from Parmiter's on the 2nd (they're quick off the mark!) stating on which basis he had been offered a place.

To find out actual test scores we're being told you have to write or e-mail in the request - I think their main focus at the moment is on the CI lists...
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Our letter for DD (non-sib) just said she failed. How can we get the scores pls, anybody in the know? Where is email address? we would like to have some idea what went wrong and now DD2 wants to do the exam in a couple years (even more academic, so maybe worth it).
watmum

Post by watmum »

ttmum wrote:....At this stage, how do you find out what route your child gets into a school.(academic, sports, music, etc)
Does your letter actually state the criteria?
So am I right in thinking that you have not had a Parmiter's letter confirming the place at all?

I am going back a bit, but when we got our news through, we had two letters, a county one and one from Parmiters confirming the offer of a place on the academic criteria.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

My twins took the music route as a means to getting two of the nine places set aside for those outside of the catchment areas. Neither child got an offer. Strange since both were good enought to get offerred music scholarships from Habs and St A High School for Girls.

Other posters have talked about asking the school for the academic test scores. I wonder if they will tell me why twins didn't get a music place.
watmum

Post by watmum »

pushy dad, it's not the first time i have heard similar stories to yours. Back in the day (LoL) places for music were allocated according to your grade in a music exam, i.e i think you needed to be at least a grade 3 or 4 to apply for a music place.. this was ammended , and rightly so, but i am not at all sure how they judge it now.

I have heard of children who have never had a lesson in their lives getting offers
over grade 4/5 musicians. it must be a complex system which judges musical apptitude. It must be said though, that it is a fairer system. I have a personal friend whose DC was allocated a place on the music criteria following an appeal, which i think is quite unusual too.

Good luck to the twins.
ustaad

Post by ustaad »

We live in Brent and our DS got a place via the out of cachement academic route. We're really pleased as it was his first choice school and there were only 9 places on offer for out of cachement applicants.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Congrats Cruyff-Turn.

My twins took both the academic and music tests. They are bright academically but we were aware upfront that, with only 9 places available, they weren't going to be bright enough so we were pinning our hopes on the music route. They are both Grade 7 on their main instruments and Grade 5 on their secondary and we told ourselves that the child prodigies out there would be applying to music schools like Purcell so our kids would stand a good chance. Unfortunately that didn't happen :(

If anyone got an out-of-catchment place via the music route then I would be interested to hear from you since I'm curious to know whether all the 9 places went to kids sitting the academic test or whether on the day my kids went up against a couple of highly talented musicians that were in a league of their own.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now