St Joan of Arc Waiting List?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sf40

St Joan of Arc Waiting List?

Post by sf40 »

Does anyone know how quickly the St. Joan of Arc waiting list normally moves and how far down the list places are allocated?
Charl39

Re: St Joan of Arc Waiting List?

Post by Charl39 »

I don't know the answer to your question but in May 2009 I asked them how far in terms of distance a place was offered and received the following reply. Hope that helps. You could try asking them how far the list went last year, they seem quite open to enquiries.

Thank you for your enquiry.

The furthest place offered on allocation day was at approximately 6.65 miles, however this of course varies from year to year.

We do not have the information yet for the final child offered from our continuing interest list as the process is still continuing and places are still being offered should a child withdraw at this stage.
Charl39
sf40

Post by sf40 »

Thanks for your reply. Mine is a strange situation as we actually live really close to the school and already have a child there (it was undersubscribed the year he got in), but DS2 didn't get a sibling place because we are not catholic, so the distance allocation is irrelevant to us. I did ask the school how far down the CI list they offered places in previous years, but they just said it varies every year and they couldn't really give me any information. Guess I will just have to wait it out.
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

That is unfortunate. They would have to offer to all practising Catholic DC's first, based on distance, as they meet a higher criteria, and then move down to whichever criteria your DS meets, presumably the next criteria in the list. It might be useful to ask if they offered to anyone in your criteria last year, it wouldn't do any harm. I know our local Catholic secondary school never gets past practising Catholic DC's as they apply from quite far away, but all schools are different and depends what other Catholic schools are in the area.

Good luck.
Charl39
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Have you submitted an appeal?
sf40

Post by sf40 »

Yes I have submitted an appeal but don't know whether we stand a chance or not as DS2 was one of 7 non-catholic siblings who failed to gain a place this year.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I think I am right in saying that no non catholic siblings have been offered places for the last 2 years. I am aware of one family who had an unsuccessful appeal in 2009. However no two years are ever the same and in 2008 at least one family at my child's primary did get a non catholic sibling place late in the summer.
Unfortunately the admission rules changed in 2008 as prior to this you would have been guaranteed a place. You could argue that previous admission rules influenced your decision to send your older child to Sjoa. I always think its very unfair when rules change and the school has become much more popular. In fact I am surprised that this schol is not mentioned on this site more frequently, Its recent Ofsted as I am sure you are aware was outstanding. Just hang on but perhaps apply to other schools too if thats still possible. I would also suggest you talk to the headmaster as soon as possible. Good luck.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is only an opinion but I would think you have very good grounds for an appeal. If it is the case that the sibling rule existed when you applied for the place for your older dc and that rule has been removed while your dc has been at the school I would think that you make a very good argument that you sent your elder dc to the school believing that siblings would be able to attend and now the rules have changed and left you without a place for your younger sibling. Again opinion only but knowing some of the grounds that people win appeals on I would think you would have strong grounds with this argument. Others know far more about this than me though. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now