Parmiters

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jo55

Parmiters

Post by jo55 »

Hi, As we are able to change our preferences (or new applications from next week). We are thinking of Parmiters. We went to see the school and my son scored higher than the lowest cut off point, so we may consider it. The reason that we did not rank it higher before was the travel/distance. We live in the HA6 postcode and wondering about other forms of transport (apart from their school buses- as would have to drive 15 mins to get to nearest coach stop). The problem is later on when he is older and we would like him to be independent in getting to and from school. Does anyone know if car shares are in operation or public transport. We will still hang on for our preferred chioce and WGboys. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks Jo x
tense

Re: Parmiters

Post by tense »

Hi Jo55

My DD is at Parmiter's & travels by school bus. Unfortunately, public transport isn't great (if you live more than a few miles out). If your son is sporty it is likely that he will train / have matches at least 2 or 3 nights a week. My DD has friends who live far & wide & we do car share which helps.

It sounds like your DS did really well in the tests - WP's sticky shows that getting into WGSB from the outer area is no mean feat! I noticed that last year the difference between the cut off points for March & September was only one, but in previous years it seems to have been much more like 8-10. So, I'm not sure where you are on the waiting list but you must be close (score-wise).

If you do decide to go on the list for Parmiter's, I am not sure whether this will mean that you will automatically be taken off the list for WGSB. You may wish to check this out.

Good luck!
jo55

Post by jo55 »

Thanks for your reply. I rang herts CC to add my sons name to the CI list for Parmiters but am unsure as to when this happens. Parmiters told me that my son would have got a place (had we ranked the school higher) Still holding on for WG boys though. Jo x
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I don't think getting to Parmiter's will be easy if you take away the school bus option. We live in the HA3 area and I haven't yet figured out an easier way for DS to get there, so it's definitely the school bus for the next 5-7 years. As for car shares, I know about 8 pupils who attend Parmiter's within walking distance from my house, but as all the parents work their kids use the school bus too.
busybeenfun

Post by busybeenfun »

Please be warned that Herts CC recently had a consultation on school transport and it is possible (likely) that the school bus services will be scrapped from 2012 as part of the cost cuts or be significantly reduced (especially for routes that don't have many children entitled to free transport).

The outcome of the consultation should be known soon. As a working parent who relies on the bus service I am keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't all scrapped.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Yes, I'm another working parent who relies on the school bus services and I'm waiting the outcome of this consultation too.

I must have misunderstood it but I didn't think that the school bus services were going to be scrapped just the subsidies so using them will become much more expensive. Or maybe even the contracts with the bus companies would be between the schools and the bus companies rather than HCC.

Is there a date when the results of the consultation will be published?

Alison
tense

Post by tense »

The Parmiter's school buses aren't provided by the County though so won't be affected by these (likely) cuts. A friend's child goes to the school down the road from Parmiter's on a Herts CC school bus route (similar starting point). We pay the same in fares, so if school routes do lose their subsidies, I'm sure more schools will look into direct contracts with companies, as AlisonR suggests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now