opinions on QE and WB

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Re: opinions on QE and WB

Post by zorro »

Go on Google and type in QE- the Truth - it will make your hair curl! :shock: :shock:
lara228

Post by lara228 »

From what I can see, most of it is about the school in the 1950s and I would welcome comments from anyone who went to a boy's grammar or public school in that era regarding teacher cruelty and a lack of pastoral care - it was a different world then and I can't see any purpose being served by your muckraking - other than, perhaps, to scare off parents and free up the waiting list - or am I just a cynic at heart?!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Muckraking?!! :lol:
I clicked on the link posted by Papadontpreach who started the topic out of curiousity which led to me to the QE - The Truth link.
I have no axe to grind and no vested interest.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Lara... I have been seeing this "phenomena" during allocations - especially for schools like QEB and HBS.

It's mostly either people who were not able to make it in current/previous years or people who are trying to free up some spaces on the waiting list. :roll:

I think the school results speak for itself.

Enough said!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yogruti, there's more to a school than their results! :wink:
Josa

Post by Josa »

zorro wrote:Yogruti, there's more to a school than their results! :wink:
Zorro, correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember from your previous posting that you applied to QE . I wonder if your perception of the school would have differed had he been offered a place :|
zorro

Post by zorro »

Absolutely not - I regard it as a lucky escape :lol:
He also applied to a couple of other schools too where he was not offered a place, I have never seen anything unfavourable written about these schools, nor would I write anything negative about them myself.
Trust me, there are no sour grapes! :mrgreen:
Josa - I take it your DS attends QE :|
sj355

Post by sj355 »

It is strange how this courses for horses belief seems to be prevailing.

My son goes to QE. He is very happy there, although from our point of view as parents the work involved can in some cases be exhausting. But he seems to enjoy it in the vast majority of his GCSEs.

I firmly believe that had he gone to our alternative school choices he would have been equally happy, made friends and settled as well as in QE. Overall it is highly speculative to dwell on alterantive scenarios in alternative universes. The fact that a child is happy in one school does not necessarily imply that he would have been less happy in another school, and in the cases of many good schools (grammars, independents and indeed some comprehensives) the choice would make very little difference to the well being (& the academic progress) of the child.

Now as for us for parents... I think that this is where the problem lies!... :?
sj355
zorro

Post by zorro »

Well said! It's just good to see that our child is settled, happy and achieving their maximum potential in the school we sent them to. Ultimately that's all that matters.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

And yes, when I see how well my DS is doing and how happy he is, I AM glad that he didn't end up at any of the other schools.
Zorro,

I will have to repeat what I wrote in my previous message: "The fact that a child is happy in one school does not necessarily imply that he would have been less happy in another school". In fact, he may well have been even more happy, who knows? Or I am just in an optimistic mood today :lol:
sj355