Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6 months to go
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 pm 

Hello, I'm new here. My dd is coming to the end of Year 5 at a lovely state primary. We've been looking at schools for quite a while and have a good feel for them and now know more or less where we are applying. We love St Helen's, that's our first choice and we'll also be applying to Habs girls although I'm a little worried about the pressure. We're seeing St Albans High School tomorrow, they're in the same group as St Helen's so that may be another possibility.

State schools - we're looking at Watford Grammar, Parmiters and JFS.

My dd is a bright girl but lacks confidence especially in Maths. She's had a private tutor since end of Year 4 and has made good progress. The tutor seems fairly clued up on schools and their admission criteria.

My question really is what can I do now to give dd the very best chance? I've been looking through St Helen's sample Maths papers and inwardly I'm having a bit of a panic - I think they look really hard! If I want to buy extra practice papers which are the best ones to get? I've heard something called Bond papers - what are they? And how much work should dd realistically be doing?

Watford Grammar/Parmiters exam is in November, private school exams in Jan and it seems to be coming round pretty quickly. Any other advice gratefully received!

Post subject: Re: 6 months to go
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 pm 

Hi

If you go to whsmiths or any good bookstore they sell many many good 11+ prep books, I think the Bond books are the most used! also there are vr books by Susan some1 without looking i cant think had a long day and its way pass my bedtime but felt i could not leave your post unanswered! I have a list as long as my arm of recommended books if yourd like to pm me.

good luck

Sarah

Post subject: Re: 6 months to go
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am 

It might be worth you posting a similar message on the Indie thread too as you'll get more info about the Indie schools you mention on there.

I don't have any personal experience of any of those schools, but my cousin is an English teacher at St Helens and has been there for years. She said the atmosphere is more relaxed and less pressurised than Habs. Her elder DD went to WGGS and loved it, her younger DD didn't get in there and is going to St Helens.

As for practice books, I think Sargul is thinking of Susan Daughtrey for VR, there are lots of others too. Have a look through some of the old threads there are some useful suggestions of practice materials around the forum.

GL to your DD :)