Voluntary Payments

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

qebmum

Re: Voluntary Payments

Post by qebmum »

It might be worth remembering that QE competes well on all levels with the indies with a fraction of the income! My DS is now in 6th form and on the whole, I feel my monthly contributions over the years have been well used and have given him opportunities and facilities that have enhanced his education. In year 7 they do make a strong persuasive argument about paying (of course they know that many of you are relieved at not having to pay indy school fees so will be happy to make that commitment). Once you are 'signed up' it's rarely mentioned again apart from they big up lower school raffle ticket selling for the summer fair (this Saturday by the way) and Christmas. The pressure to buy these diminishes the older your DS gets - mine didn't even bring any home this year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So do MANY other schools without the need for 'emotional blackmail'.

Sorry, as a teacher, I find this offensive and would not work in a school that was asking for this amount from parents.
herbera

Post by herbera »

Have just seen this thread as have been off the site for a while. My DD is going to Dame Alice Owen this Sept - we received as part of our info pack a request for support - but they indicated as a guideline a very moderate £10 per month per child. Feel grateful for this now I've read these posts ( although of course I don't know yet how many more fundraising drives there will be...)
qebmum

Post by qebmum »

Hi Herbera. Owen's are also happy to ask for contributions - just received the summer raffle tickets with prizes for those children who sell the most (!). Also, they are hoping parents will raise £490k towards building the new science block... I know that my Yr 7 DD will benefit hugely from all fund raising efforts so I am happy to help, the same as I've always done at QE. There's nothing wrong with schools wanting to offer the best facilities possible for the children. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now