St Dominics 6th Form Harrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
decaff

St Dominics 6th Form Harrow

Post by decaff »

My eldest currently year 11 has said that he wants to leave his current school in S W Herts and study A levels at St Dominics in Harrow next year. Assuming he does well enough in his GCSE's There is an open morning coming up which I will attend. Many of his friends currently at his school live in Harrow, Pinner areas and have decided this is where they want to go. Does anybody have any information on this college. A level results seem good. We live in the Rickmansworth area so he could travel on tube. Any information would be welcome.
KS10

Re: St Dominics 6th Form Harrow

Post by KS10 »

I have colleagues whose DC have had to leave after their 1st year due to underperformance, sometimes in just one subject. I could find out more as it's where the more academic from our school tend to go.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Yes thanks I would welcome any information.
Papadontpreach

Post by Papadontpreach »

Our DS did his A levels at St Dom's a couple of years ago after attending the local comprehensive. He loved it there. He felt the teachers were much more attentive and provided advice tailored for him rather than just being generic. Yes, they do have high standards and, if you are failing in one subject, you can be asked to reconsider your courses, and in extreme cases, asked to leave. However, I have to say with all the help and guidance on hand any student who is asked to leave must have had other issues going on.

My only niggle is that you cannot repeat your final year there.....so if your DS misses his Uni grades he'll have to register elsewhere to retake. My son missed his by 2 points - the nearest examination centre that ran the same exam board, and allowed him to just sit the exam rather than enrol for classes, was in Kensington.

Hope that's helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now