Panic attack during VR test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: Panic attack during VR test

Post by Daogroupie »

Mani, is this the Herts Consortium? PM me if you would prefer. The backup date will be a different paper so she should be allowed to go to the backup date and take the paper. She was taken ill during the test, a panic attack is an illness and is the same as being sick or having a stomach ache or headache or backpain.

All schools have a backup date for those who were ill and not able to take the paper. As she only did five or ten minutes and please find out how many minutes she did take as it will be written on the invigilators paper, then she became ill and has the right to take the paper for those who were ill. Say that you want the attempt while she was ill to be discounted and for her to have the chance to take the different paper. Grannie DG
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mani73 wrote:You are all so lovely, its like having an extended family. :)
There's Aunty S-A, Grannie DG, Great Aunt Etienne ......... :)
Etienne
Mani73

Post by Mani73 »

Hi there

I'm speechless...I dont even know you and you are all so concerned and helpful! Thank you so much for caring.

Yes this was the herts consortium. I spoke to the admissions department of rickmansworth school where she sat the paper and well you know what she said. I spoke to the Clement Danes and they also said the same thing, is there somewhere else I can try, like an overarching herts consortium body?

I believe the lady I spoke to said she was was bought into her room at approx 2:55. Her session finished at 3:30, so ten mins in if i have worked it out properly.

Thank you again, your help means so much.

Mani xx
WP

Post by WP »

Mani73 wrote:Yes this was the herts consortium. I spoke to the admissions department of rickmansworth school where she sat the paper and well you know what she said. I spoke to the Clement Danes and they also said the same thing, is there somewhere else I can try, like an overarching herts consortium body?
No, it's a co-operation between the schools. I believe Rickmansworth does the coordination, but you've already talked to them.
Mani73

Post by Mani73 »

Hi there

Yes, its Rickmansworth School that do the coordination, her parents are going to go see them see if they can at least give her the amount of time she wasnt in the exam for to do what she can. Clement Dane School Admissions also suggested speaking with them and said that at the very least they should give her the remainder of the time ....so we shall see.

I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks to my lovely forum family!

:)
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Good luck Mani73
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Although a horrible position to be in, it may be one that hasn't happened before and this may be to your niece's advantage if they are unable to cite a precedence that has already been set. Her parents may be able to argue on the grounds of what would be fair for the child, and the comments from the admissions people about her being allowed the reamining time to finish the test will be valuable here.

If they allow her to finish the paper in the time she had left then I expect she and her family will feel that they have been fairly treated. It may not be as long as you think though as a 3:30 pick up time may have allowed 10 mins or more for collecting papers and ushering children from the hall / rooms to the collecting area. This may mean that she had already spent about half of the alloted time for the paper.

If they don't allow her to finish the paper then I think the parents have to consider what steps, if any, would improve their child's chances as it would come down to appeal.

Firstly they should take a realistic assessment of her chances of gaining a place at the schools they have put down. The schools you mention are St Clement Danes and Rickmansworth which have very few places allocated on the basis of accademic ability. If these are their choices then based on the admission statistics supplied by WP she would need to have an overall combined maths / vr score above 224 for Rickmansworth and 243 for St Clement Danes (roughly top 20% of those taking the test).

Do they really feel that she would have attained these scores? Do they have evidence from her primary school to suuport this? My daughter's primary school do a vr test in year 3 and year 5 and they tell us the results. If your niece's school does likewise it will give a good indication.

Don't forget that she will already have finished the maths paper and have a score for this. You will be able to obtain this score in due course. It will probably only be worthwhile taking it to appeal if her maths score plus her vr scores from primary school indicate she would have got a lot more than 224 (or whatever the cut off score is next March).
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

All the best Mani, I think we can all see how unfair it would be to not consider what happened as an illness!

And I guess Aunties have seen it all for a few years and would know of how many cases are won on much weaker grounds? :D
Worriedmum42

Post by Worriedmum42 »

Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here, I'm new to the forum.
My son had a panic attack half way through his maths paper of 11 plus on Saturday.
He was taken to another room and given the rest of the time. However he cried until the end. He answered the first 18 questions of 40 and didn't even guess the rest. He was well on target for a pass having sat a mock and achieved excellent scores.
He had already sat the verbal reasoning. I am waiting to see how badly he misses the pass mark but it would really help me to know how this case ended up.
Any advice / information would be very gratefully received as we are all devastated.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

Hi Worriedmum,
There is not much you can do at this stage other than gather evidence. Do you have a written statement from the school he took the test at to say he was taken to another room but cried until the end? You will probably need to get this now if you are likely to want to appeal in the future. A reference from your son's current school may also help at appeal as will a mark sheet or similar from the mock exam.
It sounds unlikely that he will get a high enough score for many of the consortium schools if he failed to complete the paper. If he stayed until the end it is unlikely that he will be able to take the test at the back up date.
Sorry I can't be more positive but I think that realistically your best option is to plan for a good appeal after allocation day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now